Scope

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I just bought a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 223. I wanted a varmint rifle that didn't weigh 20#, had a shorter barrel and was relatively cheap. At a bit over $600.00 this seemed to fit the bill.

Anyway even though I am a Kahles and Conquest kinda guy, I don't want to spend 500.00+ on a scope at this time.

So I am looking for some, hopefully experienced, ideas on base, rings and scope.

Thanks,
Long

Leupold has had some bad press recently, but they still make a good product. Minox has some excellent options available for those seeking great glass. And there is no reason not to consider Vortex. All three of these provide some good options for you. I'm using a lot of Talley rings, but I still like Leupold dual dovetail bases and rings.

As a .223cal varmint rig, I'm assuming you're going to want some power in the scope, and not just a 3-9x. If you want just a 3-9x, there are tons of sub-$500 choices, I'm sure you know.

As for 4-12x class and up, the best values are really in the Minox ZA5, Nikon Buckmaster and Monarch, Burris FullField E2, Bushnell Elite, and Vortex Viper lines. You can get a good scope for well under $500, or you can get a very good scope for between $400-500. Of course, it's a bit overpowering for a 223, but the pre-order price on the next batch of Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44s from CLNY is very good...

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... per6-20x44

Delivery expected in early November...

I just bought a 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper. The glass is pretty clear and I only paid $430 for it. I also have a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 that is pretty clear and it comes in a 4-12x40. They're both pretty clear and I think about the same price range.

Not the brake but the velocity of the bullet of the 378 makes it a mule!
This and the reverse type inertia from the brake is why I broke 3 leupies on it!

The 416 just has a nice big shove. Not a high speed "kick"

Got ya, makes sense to me. I know the 378 is like a 300 mag with about a 120 grains more bullet weight. Pretty impressive performance really..

Makes my little 264 seem like a chump..

Sorry long. But back to your question what is your maximum $$$$?

I was hoping for under 400.00. Right now I was thinking about taking my Kahles 3x9 TDS to put on it and later buying another conquest for my 280. Then I would have Conquests on my 7m-08, 308 and 280.

But of course I would like a higher magnification scope for the 223....so the Kahles will probably be a temporary situation until I can figure out what scope would be good for the 223 and come up with the cash.

Long

Long, you need to strongly consider the 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper with the wide duplex. It's $280 from CLNY as a special deal. Go ahead and order one now, and you'll probably get it within a few weeks, as the expected date is early November. You won't get better glass for the price, I believe. You will need a 30mm set of rings, but that's not a big deal these days.

A friend of mine who shoots at insane distances uses this scope on one of his rifles and loves it. That's a strong recommendation for me, and I'm passing it on to you.

Although I don't have a Viper, I have several friends that do and they have nothing but great things to say about them. Mostly mounted on 22-250's, 220 swift and 243. All varmint hunters

So between Minox and Vortex, which is the better scope. I was looking at the Minox 3-15x42 for 399.00

Long

I lean quite heavily to Minox as superior optics to Vortex in that price range. The Vortex Razor is excellent glass (and the scope somewhat bulky), but it is also pricey.

I think the Minox glass is awesome for the money. Nothing wrong with Vortex at all, but the Minox is very similar to a Conquest, at least to my eyes.

In the testing that I did with a USAF test panel at 25 yards did not show an appreciable difference between Minox and Conquest in either contrast or resolution. Actually the Minox was one line/mm better than Conquest at 8x for resolution and both were closely equivalent to the Leupold VXIII at the same 8X. All three were very close in contrast.

Oldtrader3":1ecko6zz said:
In the testing that I did with a USAF test panel at 25 yards did not show an appreciable difference between Minox and Conquest in either contrast or resolution. Actually the Minox was one line/mm better than Conquest at 8x for resolution and both were closely equivalent to the Leupold VXIII at the same 8X. All three were very close in contrast.

I haven't ever done that test Charlie, but my own eyes tell me about the same. I think the Zeiss gives a better Field of View, but the seeing part is about even for the Minox and Conquest, with the VX3's not very far behind.

Back