Seating depth test in the works.

PJGunner

Handloader
Dec 11, 2010
Well the next batch of tests for the 7x57 should start tomorrow. I'm just gonna run the 150 gr. AccuBond Long Range at different seating depths using the load that was the last one before starting to see pressure signs. I should have made a same set using the 150 gr. Nosler Partition but the heat drove me out of the shed where I do my reloading. Brass will be the well used Remington that I started with, CCI 200 primer and 45.5 gr. of Re17.

The rifle was a J.C. Higgins M50 in .270 Win. so I'm not worried about the strength of the rifle. barrel is a 23" Douglas that showed to be quite accurate shooting Winchester 145 gr. factor ammo on that same rifle. When I did a test run using the same load in a Ruger #1, Winchester M70 FWT and this Mauser running the 175 gr. Hornady round Nose, the Mauser averaged 150 FPS faster than the 2315 Average from the other two rifles. This rifle has an extremely tight chamber which just may be the source of the higher pressures. I just don't know. I do know that so far, the 150 gr. ABLR has not been accurate in any of those 7x57s nor in a custom .280 Remington.
Paul B.

Back