Seating Depth

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
I have been wanting to play with seating depth on my 25-06 to see if I can get tighter groups. I've been searching through the forums which provides great information but I have no idea how you guys get such accurate seating depths. I measured 20 rounds I loaded up in a RCBS die, and the seater lock nut was tightened down well, and my over length varies between 2.55 to to 2.6. There's no way I could make .01 adjustments! so what I did was loosen the lock nut, went 1/2 turn deeper, and seated a few bullets. they are 2.35 to 2.4. i was assuming this was because they are partitions, and the seater makes contact with the bullet rather than the tip, and each tip is mashed a little differently, but I think I have seen this on ballistic tips also. any advice on what I'm doing wrong? thanks.

Bob, usually a 1/4 turn on the seating stem will give you usable differences in seating depths. It is hard to measure off of the bullets tip, as they are all a little different. If you use a comparator, you will likely have a touch more accurate readings and maybe get where you want to be a little faster. Scotty

Same set I have! Wonder how I got along so well without it for so long! STEVESDL also uses a similar tool from innovative technologies. Knowing what I know now, I would have rather had that, than the Hornady deal, but live and learn.

www.larrywillis.com

find the bullet measurement deal. It is a slick setup. Scotty

That is the same set up I use also. Measure to the ogive is the way to go.

Just to add a point or two:

Bullet points are often irregular in shape and length, which you can easily measured with a dial caliper. Very consistently loaded ammo may give inconsistent oal measurements when measured to the bullet tip.

Measuring to the bullet tip is only useful when used to ensure that ammo fits into the magazine. Since the bullet tip never touches anything, measuring its position is nearly worthless. Use the ojive measuring tools as recommended by others.

Good luck - VH

thanks for the info. i will have to pick up one of these tools. this will only give me the measurement to the ogive right? it's not going to calculate overall case length? so it is strictly a tool for seating depth?

You can use the comparators for seating depths and Overall case length when resizing cases. That is probably the most useful part for me. Either way, it is a great tool. Scotty

Do you guys reset the die and seat after every round?
Because even when you use the comparator , if the seating stem is touching the tip first then subsequent loads will be seated differently correct?

So a fixed and locked die will only work if in fact the seating stem is touching only the ogive (the only constant) and makes no contact with the tip.

How do you remedy this? Any ideas? other than seating and adjusting for every round?????????/

Fotis, I set my die for the average depth. I measure off the ogive for the OAL. I see what you mean, how they could be different, but I figure, even with that difference, I don't have any rifles that can tell the difference as long as it is consistent. Not sure if that makes sense, but I do understand what you are saying. Maybe I have been lucky? Scotty

Some of my seating stems go off the point some off the ogive. Wished they all went of the ogive.

POP":90o3l19q said:
Some of my seating stems go off the point some off the ogive. Wished they all went of the ogive.

because lighter bullets are too short to reach the lands.

POP
What dies do you have that seat off the ogive? I own Fosters, RCBS and Reddding. Your right only one that is seating off the ogive is truly accurate. All I can do is tinker the die with the first three or four loads and just start loading the rest.

Not sure which ones. I have so many.............

Back