Self Defense ammunition

I am looking forward to try the new blue tipped bullets from Nosler.
My Kimber Tactical Pro is begging for them.

JD338

JD338":1m49ez25 said:

JD338

I hope they make some 10mm stuff.

SJB358":2c1xntzb said:
JD338":2c1xntzb said:

JD338

I hope they make some 10mm stuff.

Same here! Double Tap 10mm ammo has gone way up! They no longer sell them in the 50 round box and instead use 20 rounders?

Hornady 230 TAP +P

Not the fanciest, probably not the best either...but its the easiest to find locally and it is quite accurate.

It would likely penetrate through and through on a person, even a large one...I shot a deer with it once that had been gut shot with an arrow. I jumped the deer while feeding the horses and saw the arrow sticking out of her side...made a quick shot, hit her low and right of the anus, missed all bones....the bullet came to a stop in her lungs...perfectly expanded in typical XTP fashion.

I wouldn't have believed it either if I had not seen it with my own eyes....

EDIT: LOL, this is the 2nd time I've replied to this thread...forgot about the first one.

I developed a load for both 45 acp and 40 s&w my 40 round is most impressive 165 xtp or gold dot loaded with 11 gr. Of blue dot. Giving me 1250 fps with my xdm 4.5". As for 45 I am loading 8.2 gr longshot with 185 gr xtp or gold dot for a total of 1085 fps out of a 4" xd. On the topic of hornady critical defense. They have gone away from them and now have the critical duty which has proven more accurate and more deadly with the new redesigned ftx bullet

The other thing you can consider is basing your loads off of major power factor used by IDPA/ IPSC. Old power factor was 180, 000: about 3 years ago they changed major to 165, 000

My Critical Defense Hornady loads in 165 grain did not deliver in the accuracy department. MY handloads at 1200 fps and 150 grain Nosler shot into about 2-3 inch groups at 10 yards, this compared to 8-10 inch groups all over the target for the Critical Defense Hornady rounds. Loud and lots of recoil on the Hornady as well.

Back