Seller and Bellot primers

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
Anyone have any experience with the S&B large rifle pimers, good bad, or otherwise? How do they compare in heat range to standard CCI LR primers? Cabela's has them on sale and a decent supply of them. Thanks. Bret

I've been using them for 4 years now. I have no scientific data, but based on POI shift or lack thereof, they seem to compare to Fed 210match or Rem 9 1/2 in medium cases, medium burn rate powders.

The only slow powder I've used them with was IMR 4350 in my 280 Rem with good results.

They are a good primer. I've been able to equal my previous loads in all applications including match ammo except a slightly reduced Varget load that still needs Winchester primers to group decently. They seat very consistently with a large, flat striking surface, making them particularly suitable for M1 or other semi-autos. I'm now using them in SR, LP, SP sizes also. Great value, buy and use with confidence. I was elated when Cabelas started carrying them locally at a good price and I have given them feedback accordingly.

Thanks for the input. Cabela's has them on sale right now for $20/brick. Pretty good price.

I was looking at these at Cabela's a couple of nights ago. If I was reading the packaging correctly, the same primer is used (large or Small) for both rifle and handgun ammo. Was I reading this correctly??

RiverRider":1tcyws7q said:
I was looking at these at Cabela's a couple of nights ago. If I was reading the packaging correctly, the same primer is used (large or Small) for both rifle and handgun ammo. Was I reading this correctly??

NO. The physical size is the same, but there are distinct LR, SR, LP, SP (written as such) sizes. You need to read the box carefully, it's not as apparent as on our 'murican primers.

"5,3 LP BOXER" "4,4 SR BOXER" "5,3 LR BOXER" Large pistol, Small rifle and Large rifle respectively. This is from the top of my current 1000ct boxes.

The top of the box is marked SP, SR, LR, LP (go with this) with a metric designation of the physical primer size. There is a general precaution in English on one of the side panels. I think the confusion is arising with the part of the general information that says suitable for rifle, pistol or revolver loads. Some heavy magnum handgun cartridges use rifle primers, some light loads in the old BP cartridges are appropriately loaded wit pistol primers.

For most standard cartridges, stick with the primer size your data recommends.

Back