Semi Auto Crowd

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
Today at the range there was a guy with a semi that I’ve never seen before. He said it was a HK clone. Bolt handle was 3/4 ways down the barrel and mag feed in at 45*. The brass that came out of it was junk , it seemed to have a straight rifled chamber.
IMG_3504.jpeg
I’m just curious if anyone has seen this before and why would anyone want to groove their brass.

Either POF or NEMO has a chamber (at shoulder) there is 4 grooves for easier extraction. I wonder what that brass looks like on magnums (300wm)?

"Well I took some time and googled “fluted chamber” and got the answer to was caused the brass grooves.
Not for this cat , brass is too expensive."

Years back when those HKs first hit the market I picked up a bunch of that fluted brass and reloaded it, light at first then to full power. Worked just fine. First few cases were starting loads and when they worked fine I kept increasing the loads until I hit full power level. Never had a problem other than the necks would crack early on. I usually got 5 reloads before that happened. Used mostly as range brass but did rely on them for a couple of deer hunts. Money was tight so I couldn't afford buying factory ammo or even a bag or two of new brass. Made do with the fluted.
Paul B.

fluting helps the delayed rollerblock action do its job, its job is to hold the bolt locked until the bullet is out of the barrel.

Back