Setting up a Drop Camp Hunt

GSSP

Beginner
Aug 11, 2005
Not this year (2005), but next, a good friend and I are planning an Elk hunt utilizing an outfitter's services for a drop camp hunt. We both have all the camping equipment necessary. It's the means to get all that gear back into and then out of, to include meat (hopefully), an area away from the road where some undisturbed Elk live, which we do not have.

We are doing this mostly for the comraderie, return to nature and if a bull or two wish to cooperate, that's fine with us. I'm more financially challenged than my friend is. When I was a young, single Buck Sergeant in the Army, I could and did afford a 10-day guided elk hunt to the Absorakee Beartooth Wilderness just north of Yellowstone park, 22 years ago. I shot a 300 point 6-pt bull on the 8th day of that hunt. Though with wives, kids, mortgages, etc., it's not in the budget for either of us until the kids are grown and out of college.

Questions which come to mind are as follows.

1. Legally, does a service provider/Outfitter of this type need to be licensed or have permits by some state or federal entity?

2. Do most, or all, service providers/Outfitters who offer drop hunts also provide guided hunting, or are their Outfitters who do drop hunts only?

3. Are we competing with their higher paying guided clients? On the scale of importance, are we 2nd class hunters because we are not providing as much of an income or maybe just the opposite. Are we a more profitable client becuase we are kind of a "fire and forget" client until it's time to check in on us or pick us up? In the between time, they're are servicing other drop camp hunters. Kind of like a dentist with a 6 chair office.

4 Will the Outfitter "always" pack us into less than ideal areas that are not in competition with their higher paying guided clients?

5. What is a typical cost for a 5, 7 or 10-day drop hunt? Is it all inclusive? What's included? What's not?

6. What service is provided? What typically, can we expect? Horses for equipment and men or just equipment? How much extra for horses to ride to and from the main camp?

7. How often does the outfitter check in on us? Do Outfitters use/provide a form of 2-way communication with us while we are in camp?

8. Are their extra, hidden costs? Like, packing an animal from the kill site, which might likely be off the beaten trail, so to speak. Will the Outfitter expect the carcass to be at camp, ready for final packing to the vehicles?

9. Is their a contract which is signed prior to settling the deal? Can/will/has an outfitter tried to gouge a hunter/s at the start/middle/end of a hunt.

10. Is their a legal way to expedisiously remedy disputes?

11. Are their Outfitters who have/will take us where "we" want to go?
For example, if my friend and I were to return to the same area I hunted in the Absorakee 22 yeas ago, would an outfitter take us to nearly the same area, even if it meant competing with paying guided hunters of his own or that of another outfitters?

12. What is a standard tip for poor, average, good to excellent service?

13. For 2 hunters, is their a max weight allowance for our gear or do we have to pay extra for the horse/s necessary to pack the extra gear? I've been known to throw in the kitchen sink. :lol:

14. If familiar with the area, will the Outfitter make suggestions on where/how to hunt or are we totally on our own?

15. How early is early enough to book such an Outfitter and his services?

I've been on 1 drop camp hunt so I'm no expert but generally speaking your going to find each situation will be a little, or a lot, different. There are good reputable guides and there are rip off artists. I would want a licensed guide unless it's some sort of access fee and transportation only hunt.Prices will vary some depending on the services they supply but they should be similiar in value. If it seems a lot cheaper it will be up to you to decide if their reasons sound valid or are acceptable. Don't be over trusing. The guide I had provided exactly what he claimed and little if any more but then thats why it's cheaper. If you can get the names of previous clients, don't expect names of unhappy clients, thats good. The more the better. Usually they'll haul out your animal but it may not be when you first get it and you won't want to leave it out there for the bears and coyotes so you'll have to discuss that and additional fees ahead of time. Radios now a days are real good and real small and cheap with a 5 mile radius but you may have to supply them if you want communications with the guide. I was treated as second class compared to the fully guided hunters and not directed to where they would be hunting as I would expect since they paid 3 or 4 times what I did but they did direct us to some decent areas we could walk to and gave us a rundown on thier philosiphy on how to hunt the terrain we were in. As for getting legal retribution, that could be much more expensive than it's worth if it's far from home. You've got a good list so present it to the guide and see what he's willing to do. If the guide is honest he'll be able to answer each question you've asked and a few you havn't. References are your best bet and ask them the questions from your list also, it may bring back some of the bad memories from an otherwise great or lucky hunt. Success has a way of erasing bad memories. I called about 10 or so and they were pretty honest. Compare several guides and you may find the higher priced ones include more services you might have had to pay extra for with the cheaper guides. Getting along with the guide won't be much of a problem in a drop camp but if he seems to be a little slippery on some of his answers or volunteers little about what he'll provide that can be a problem waiting to happen. He should be very forthcomming with most things. I've got my first fully guided hunt comming up in Colorado next week so when I get back I'll post what I might have learned from that. Good Luck and Good Hunting. Pictures!!!

GSSP,

Please check my friend Rich LaRocco's website www.hunts.net.

Many of your questions are answered there, and the outfitters that Rich uses are checked out. That is not to say there coldn't be a problem, and the weather is always the weather.

Drop camps can be good if you and your buddy are already experienced elk hunters, they are much less good for newbies.

If you call Rich, tell him I sent you...jim dodd

Back