Setting your bullet seater.... Walk me through it once more

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
(y) Okay-so, you are not after only years of hanging out on the site I finally completed my first reloads last night. By myself anyway..... I Think case sizing, trimming, priming all went well. (y) Time will tell. However, these dies had not been used in over five years, and needed to be re-set. Suffice it to say, that setting the sizing that should never include the use of a 9 inch channel lock :evil: A couple of crushed cases and some more time looking at the manual and LOTS of trial and error FINALLY got me close within a couple .00 to the length I wanted. About 1:00 AM :cry: :roll: I have a loaded case to work with that is the desired OAL. RCBS dies are a not the greatest.... I finally have it set and ont want to change it to switch bullets. If it cant get any easier I will be buying another set of dies to set up for the "other load". pointers, help, a way to speed things up and make it more accurate.....??? Thanks CL (the "rookie") :oops: :oops:

Nothing to be embarrassed about. I thought I knew a lot about reloading before I came here and have felt like a rookie also every since. I also get confused with all the new stuff I don't understand and it conflicts with what I thought I knew was right.
Once you have the dies set for your press it's just a matter of adjusting the seater stem for each different bullet.
The locking ring on the die that holds the die the same length should have a set screw or a screw that locks that ring in place on both dies, by loosening the screw you should be able to adjust the die with out using pliers.

This is why it's GREAT to select one pistol bullet for the majority of your shooting, pile up a big supply, set the seating die and forget about it forever.

CL - are you belling the case mouth a bit before attempting to seat the bullet. Crucial with pistol calibers.

And when loading for semi-auto pistols, I just load them long enough to fit easily in the magazine and function through the action. Mostly, I use RCBS dies for my handguns. They're plenty "good enough."

Regards, Guy

When I do want to change bullets CL, it's normally just a simple matter of screwing the stem in or out, to accommodate the new bullet - IF it needs to be changed at all... And it may not need to be changed.

Guy

you didn't say which caliber. For rifle or pistol, you don't want the built-in crimper to hit the case while you are seating the bullet. Put an unloaded case in the shell holder and run it all the way up in the press. Screw the die down until it makes contact with the case. Back the die up about 1/2 turn and lock the ring there. Now loosen the seating stem and back it up. Lower the case and put a bullet in the mouth of a sized round. Attempt to seat the bullet. Simply moving the seating stem up/down to reach the desired depth and lock the seating stem.Rick.

Okay more time now- more details. Reloading for the 250-3000 Sav. Mauser rifle- no crimp needed. So I screwed the die in down to the locking ring (It should have been right from the last time....) ran a case in and promptly crushed the shoulder pretty much flat :oops: :evil: . I go to loosen the set screw and find its mostly rounded out. (Dad what were you thinking?) I decide I cant get the set screw tight enough, so I steal the locking nut from another set of dies.

OK so here my question- I run the ram up, and screw the die in to the ram. But I m learning so I grab an empty case and run it in the seater- crushed that one too- :shock: :oops: :evil: . SO... next, back the book. Since I have another loaded "pattern round" that I saved from the reloads Dad did, I back the seater die and stem way out (Oh- I couldn't get the locking nut loose- that's where the channel lock pliers got involved.) put the case in the Die and turn the die down to meet the case ( or so I thought) tighten the locking nut and try and seat another bullet- another slightly dented shoulder. All right I m gaining, back the die out in half turn increments until the case looks fine and the bullet is seated long.

To get the locking nut tight enough to get the seater lock nut to tighten w/o turning the die too, its back to the channel locks.... Eventually, with more similar trial and error, my finished rounds come out to within .oo2 of my "pattern round" just a bit shorter COAL.

Honestly part of my trouble may be that sitting in my wheelchair the press is just a little high for making the adjustments. A slot screwdriver in the seater stem with a box end on the locking nut is just a little to high up too be comfortable, to say nothing of the whole die turning when the lock nut isn't tight enough (sigh).

So again- where is my process in error, and is their an easier/ better process or set of dies that a mere mortal can afford?

Thanks CL

Well, disregard all my comments on pistol cartridge reloading to start... :grin: I've been loading so much handgun ammo lately, and remember getting the crimp wrong a few times years ago, when dealing with handguns, so that's where my mind went as I read about you crunching a case...

Guy

Well... If you've got the seating die adjusted to where it makes a near-duplicate of your "pattern round" then it should be a very simple matter of screwing the seating die stem in or out, while keeping the die still... To accommodate the new bullet choice.

The die should screw down firmly against the press, and not need further adjustment. That's a one-time deal. I understand you're dealing with a new lock ring. Set it right, and leave it. Then the seating stem is a easy in or out proposition.

Mind you - I'm not working from a wheelchair, so you're running into difficulties I've not encountered. Dang. Wish I could just zip on out there and help you set it up. We'd be having coffee and cranking out rounds by now.

Guy

CL, the RCBS dies can be a pain with the slotted seating stem screw. I have found that the Redding dies are easier since you can use your fingers to adjust them with out using wrenches. If you can swing buying a set it would be easier for you or get someone to lower your loading bench to accommodate you setting in your wheel chair.

The die may not need to screw down firmly against the press, probably doesn't need to do so. That is why the cases were being crushed. There is an internal crimp in the RCBS dies, that is what is causing the crushed cases. Put an unloaded case in the press, run it all the way up and then screw the die down to touch the case, back the die out a half turn and lock the ring. Then deal with the seating stem. Rick.

Yes. That's what I meant by "firmly" against the press - with the locking ring.

"Firmly" - not the same as "deep."

Guy

"Against the press" means lock ring to top of threaded portion of press. It doesn't mean against the top of the shell holder like most often is done with resizing dies. The instructions here from the guys are the way to go!
EE2

Thanks guys- you've confirmed what I discovered eventually. I think if I put this up on the wall Im doing better- "The die may not need to screw down firmly against the press, probably doesn't need to do so. That is why the cases were being crushed. There is an internal crimp in the RCBS dies, that is what is causing the crushed cases. Put an unloaded case in the press, run it all the way up and then screw the die down to touch the case, back the die out a half turn and lock the ring. Then deal with the seating stem"

Setting the seater is a matter of doing two things (maybe 3) at once. I am seriously thinking about buying these and setting them up for my other load.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/827511 ... 250-savage

Any opinions on the pace setter dies?

Thanks for the help! Will post some pics soon. CL

One thing I do to get the locking ring to tighten up with out rounding off the set screw is to put a piece of lead shot, something like 4 or 2 shot size in the hole first then tighten the set screw. The lead crushes down and locks the ring in place with not much force on the set screw.

CL -
You asked about the Pacesetter dies - personally I like the seating stem with large top, held in position by 0-ring friction. Likewise, their lock ring is unique and many, including me, like it as well. YMMV.
I believe you can buy just the seater from some sources.
EE2

CL - was your father building good ammo on those RCBS dies? I suspect he was...

They work real well - I use the "fancy" Wilson dies for my .204, .25-06 and .308 but regular ol' RCBS and Redding dies for everything else, and have built some mighty fine (match winning) ammo on RCBS dies. They work.

I think I'm done with this. Offered all I can via the typed word.

Regards, Guy

Good discussion and I it appears you have picked put the jewels out of this not always clear thread. I agree with Rick, but question trusting the lock ring. The threads are so course on presses that unless you can torque your die exactly the same each time, it will set bullets to different depths. This is an even bigger deal when sizing the case. I set up my dies each time from scratch.

Do you have the instructions that came with the RCBS dies? I suspect you do not so have scanned the relevant part of one and attached it below. Read the section on "Bullet Seating without Crimping" and I believe all will be clear. Call RCBS and ask for a copy and they should send you one at no cost. Their CS is really good; on par with Nosler.

RCBS Die Instructions.jpg

Hmm.... followed the directs as shown above.
Nothing against RCBS. Didn't mean blame or touch a nerve.
Dads ammo was all I ever shot. Like most things he did probably better than mine.
Thanks for the help.
Done here.

Back