O Rings and Concentricity

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Scotty I think you and I were having the same problem, trying to get some excellent concentricity out of our 7 Mashburn ammo. I think I have it figured, at least for today. I read about this O Ring trick at Accurate Shooter some time ago, but I was screwing the die into the press too tight. The worst concentricity I have out of these is 0.004:

The blue sharpie marked round was the first round seated, seating depth a bit too deep. It'll be a good zero check round. Oops!

It doesn't usually take me much effort to get near perfect concentricity. If you want a sure fire method, just resize cases with either a Lee Collet die and Redding Body die, or a Redding Competition Neck Sizing die and a Redding Body die. Forster bushing dies with the neck opened up per their custom service is also a good way to go. All those sets of dies will produce near perfect brass after sizing. Then take a Redding or Forster Competition micrometer seater die and presto, near perfect ammo. The sliding sleeve supports the case thoughout the sizing or seating operation, and though pricey they are great.

Well none of that is available for a 7 Mashburn. All the dies are custom, and Redding doesn't make a sliding sleeve sizing or seating die for it. Forster doesn't make a die at all. Redding will make a custom Type S bushing sizing die, but those are so-so for concentricity, about 0.002 to 0.004, then add the error from your sizing die and it gets tough to achieve the 0.005 or less standard (or whatever you prefer, for hunting that's my standard).

But I hadn't given up yet. I took one of these:

And put it on the dies like this:

Then screw the die into the press but still has a bit of room to "wiggle", and they kind of let the die align with the ram and case. Oh, and use a shellholder that has some room for wiggle in it too, like Reddings. The Lee shellholder holds the case too tight I think.

This is the worst loaded round:

This is the best loaded round, pretty much no needle movement at all:

Scotty I threw a handful of these O rings into my stuff to bring to Wyoming. I'll give you and Matt some there. You can try it out and see if you can save money and not buy other dies.

Sweet, that's pretty cool Joel.

Sounds like you have that part worked out pretty nicely.

Unfortunately or fortunately I have a COAX which sorta floats the die. I believe a lot of my error is coming from seating if I can believe my gauge.

Yep, no good on the O rings then. Bummer.

I am also bringing that RCBS set back to you, you can try that seater out and see if you like it more than yours. The sizer dies are iffy though, I'm sure you could get them to work but I think they are for making 7 MSM brass from 300 H&H. And the FL sizer shaves a crazy amount of brass out of the inside of the necks, I had never seen anything like that before. The seater is good though.

No worries Joel. Not a big deal for those other dies. They'll just sit on my shelf anyhow.

I'm glad you got it knocked out. I'd like to get a nice seater though.

truck driver":3akijex9 said:
That's the first I had heard of an O-ring on the sizing die. What size O-ring did you use?

Looks like a #17 O Ring. I ordered a bag of them from Amazon, as I had a baby in the house at the time and didn't get out much.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... e-run-out/

It works a bunch better if you don't screw the die in tight! Glad you like the suggestion, I hope it works for you if you try it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJB358":ro9ajplh said:
No worries Joel. Not a big deal for those other dies. They'll just sit on my shelf anyhow.

I'm glad you got it knocked out. I'd like to get a nice seater though.

Do you have an arbor press? I asked Pac Nor if they would chamber a blank Wilson seater for me when they chamber the rifle, they haven't got back to me yet.

joelkdouglas":3nqw7dh4 said:
truck driver":3nqw7dh4 said:
That's the first I had heard of an O-ring on the sizing die. What size O-ring did you use?

Looks like a #17 O Ring. I ordered a bag of them from Amazon, as I had a baby in the house at the time and didn't get out much.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technica ... e-run-out/

It works a bunch better if you don't screw the die in tight! Glad you like the suggestion, I hope it works for you if you try it

Thanks for the link and info Joel.

My late father used O-rings where the de-capping pin screwed into the sizing die body on RCBS dies, he said that the pin would find it's own center and the neck's would be straighter. I have been using those same dies for years and I agree fully to his advice.

That's a good idea as well Sockeye. Never thought of that...

Joel, no arbor press.

I've been using O rings on F/L sizing dies for a long time now and fully agree with JoeElk, it works by far best if the die isn't locked down tight. Just enough to get your correct headspace setting and be able to pinch the die in either direction for close adjustment in maintaining the H/S dimension.

The ring allows take up in the coarse threads and self centres the cartridge/shellholder alignment.

On my RCBS dies, I back the expander right up so it just clears through the neck and loosen it until I feel the expander re-enter the neck when withdrawing. Then tighten the rod while the expander is in that position.

The result is case/neck alignment rarely in excess of .0005" run out.

Then there's just the bullet seating to address & to date I find around 15-20% of all my seated bullets have run out exceeding my desired .002"
I just cannot seem to do better than that right now. :cry:

SJB358":3bx3ut6s said:
Sweet, that's pretty cool Joel.

Sounds like you have that part worked out pretty nicely.

Unfortunately or fortunately I have a COAX which sorta floats the die. I believe a lot of my error is coming from seating if I can believe my gauge.

I find that my Coax does a great job of seating them straight. I have grown to prefer the Forster brand of lock rings, too, compared to those that come with most dies.

Back