28 Nosler and Redding Bushing size

ALScott

Beginner
Dec 1, 2022
Just got my M21 this week and ordering all components to load the ammo as it can't be bought anywhere. I wanted to try the Redding dies as liked the idea of bushings but then realized it doesn't come with bushings. I have no ammo or cases to measure so I was wondering if anyone here can help with bushing size. I have 160 gn Accubonds on the way and the factory Nosler brass with bullets pulled. Thanks

the rule of thumb is to get a bushing .002" smaller than your loaded neck size . if you have the brass , and pulled bullets , put one together and measure it . this should give you a good starting bushing size .

Yeah, would love to but no components yet. They are all in the mail and after I get them I can't load them without a bushing. I knew this caliber would be tough due to scarcity but not this tough.

the rule of thumb is to get a bushing .002" smaller than your loaded neck size . if you have the brass , and pulled bullets , put one together and measure it . this should give you a good starting bushing size .
My loaded 28 nosler rounds with Berger 175 gr Elite Hunters (HBN plated) in Nosler brass measures .305".

Buy .302, .303, .304. That way you're covered. Later you can experiment with neck tension.

Last edited:
My loaded 28 nosler rounds with Berger 175 gr Elite Hunters (HBN plated) in Nosler brass measures .305".

Buy .304, .305, .306. That way you're covered. Later you can experiment with neck tension.
Not to burst your bubble or anything. You won't get any neck tension with .305" or .306" and the bullet will fall in the case. I would settle on .303" to .304", that would be .001" to .002" neck tension.

Last edited:
is the 28 Nosler necks this thin 0.0105" ?

**** you guys correct me if I'm wrong ****

I'm just doing the math here . this doesn't seem right . usually brass neck thickness is around .014" .

.305 bushing size
.284 bullet dia .
.021 neck thickness (x2)
.0105 brass neck thickness

_________

I'm figuring you should be in around .310 bushing . I don't know the brass neck thickness , I'm guessing .014"

.284 bullet dia
.014 neck thickness
+ .014 neck thickness

.312 total thickness
- .002 for neck tension

getting the proper bushing can be tricky . if the neck clearance in the rifle chamber is a little loose, the bushing can size to a smaller dimension than it should .

Last edited:

Buy .304, .305, .306. That way you're covered. Later you can experiment with neck tension.
My bad. Get .302, .303, .304.

Sorry, lol.

Helped a friend load some 28 Nosler and there was a thousand or two difference in the lots of Nosler vs Hornady brass that he had. I could look up the bushing size we used if you don’t get an answer from someone. I d just need to get in my shop.

Let me know.

Just got my M21 this week and ordering all components to load the ammo as it can't be bought anywhere. I wanted to try the Redding dies as liked the idea of bushings but then realized it doesn't come with bushings. I have no ammo or cases to measure so I was wondering if anyone here can help with bushing size. I have 160 gn Accubonds on the way and the factory Nosler brass with bullets pulled. Thanks
If .305 is the outside neck measurement with a loaded round, with consistent brass, I typically start with a .303 bushing, and will get a .304 and .302.
With inconsistent brass, I might add .301 and a .300
The thing is, you are not going to know for sure, until you get going. I typically pony up just in case I need them.

Depends how far you want go down the rabbit hole.
Uses?
How far realistically on game?

I am the guy that would run the necks with a K&M expandirion die, then outside neck turn just enough to where I get at least a 75% neck clean, and then pick my bushing accordingly.

Finally got Nosler brass, boy they are big!!!! Anyhow.... they are pretty consistently .018 with a caliper. I don't have a ball micrometer. I will use this rifle for hunting but it's a nice very capable rifle and I have to reload so I want to do it justice with my reloading. That said, I can go down some rabbit holes and I don't want to start out 3/4 of the way to the bottom. I want to get it sighted in and see how it's going. If it's not really tight I will head there. They have an "accuracy guarantee" so I assume that is at least 1 MOA so if I can't get that I will look at what else I can do.
As I said, I will be using exclusively for hunting and my PR so far is 385 but I could have longer shots. Shot a doe in the neck the other day at 197. I like to be confident enough in my rifles to do that without hesitation.

If .305 is the outside neck measurement with a loaded round, with consistent brass, I typically start with a .303 bushing, and will get a .304 and .302.
With inconsistent brass, I might add .301 and a .300
The thing is, you are not going to know for sure, until you get going. I typically pony up just in case I need them.

Depends how far you want go down the rabbit hole.
Uses?
How far realistically on game?

I am the guy that would run the necks with a K&M expandirion die, then outside neck turn just enough to where I get at least a 75% neck clean, and then pick my bushing accordingly.
I don't understand something. The book shows .320 outer measurement but everybody who has responded is talking about .304, .305, etc. Why is there so much difference from the book? I even emailed Nosler and they suggested a bushing of .316 for .002 of neck tension.

Finally got Nosler brass, boy they are big!!!! Anyhow.... they are pretty consistently .018 with a caliper. I don't have a ball micrometer. I will use this rifle for hunting but it's a nice very capable rifle and I have to reload so I want to do it justice with my reloading. That said, I can go down some rabbit holes and I don't want to start out 3/4 of the way to the bottom. I want to get it sighted in and see how it's going. If it's not really tight I will head there. They have an "accuracy guarantee" so I assume that is at least 1 MOA so if I can't get that I will look at what else I can do.
As I said, I will be using exclusively for hunting and my PR so far is 385 but I could have longer shots. Shot a doe in the neck the other day at 197. I like to be confident enough in my rifles to do that without hesitation.
Until you load up a round in your new brass and measure the neck , you are grasping at straws.

Until you load up a round in your new brass and measure the neck , you are grasping at straws.
But how do I load up a round without the bushing for the die? I don't want to order 5 bushings, that ain't cheap.

But how do I load up a round without the bushing for the die? I don't want to order 5 bushings, that ain't cheap.
Two ways to do it:
1.) Use a non bushing seating die to seat the bullet, if you have one,,,

2.) If you don't have a non bushing seating die, then another method of determining bushing size, is to measure the neck wall thickness of the cartridge cases with a ball type or tubing micrometer. Double this measurement and add the bullet diameter to calculate the neck diameter of a loaded cartridge. As above, subtract 0.002" from this figure to determine bushing size.

You could make a chamber casting with Cerrosafe and get a neck diameter measurement from the casting.. I'm not sure how many people do that these days but it used to work well. You would have a good starting point to order bushings with this method..just my 2 cents..

Easy - if you are starting with new brass the necks will be tight enough to seat a bullet with your seater die. Then just measure the outside diameter of the neck in a few places. Subtract .002" and order a bushing. I'd start there and order additional sizes if and when needed. If you change to a different brand of brass you will almost certainly need a different size bushing.

And you're correct, Redding Ti bushing are quite expensive. I've got a box full of spares from using bushing dies for so long.

OK, got a ball micrometer and measured three pieces of brass in four places. Averaged each one of those and then took over all average of the three total averages which was .017075, doubled it = 0.03415 + 0.284= 0.31815. So I am going to order a 0.316 bushing.

Back