Settled on a second load for 416 remington magnum.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Been messing with my ruger #1 in 416 remington magnum for awhile now. Mainly trying different things with the forend. For the last little while I've been working on 350 TTSX and IMR4064. Finally finished that load Saturday, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Velocity ended up being 2529fps with a great ES and SD. Now i will start working with BLC-(2). Im trying to find atleast a couple different loads, since components are so hard to come by right now. Which is why I've used barnes bullets, its one of the only 416 bullets I've found a decent supply on.
d7f234677847758c494221c0d3635594.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I do believe that load will work. It will certainly deliver a blow to whatever gets hit with it.

DrMike":2r9srfb0 said:
I do believe that load will work. It will certainly deliver a blow to whatever gets hit with it.
Thanks DrMike!

Nice work! You are set for anything on the planet.

JD338

JD338":2qbhqilp said:
Nice work! You are set for anything on the planet.

JD338
Thanks! I'm bout ready to be done with all the testing. Thing is really beating me up off the bench with all the testing lol.

Great shooting Cleveland! I have a 458 Win you inspired me to get. Just need to get some rounds loaded up for the old gal!

Great shooting buddy!

SJB358":7rbyaa4v said:
Great shooting Cleveland! I have a 458 Win you inspired me to get. Just need to get some rounds loaded up for the old gal!

Great shooting buddy!
Thats awesome! Can't wait for a range report.

Those groups look good to go. Them are some big holes for sure. Hope you poke a deer with it and show us. Dan.

That is some great shooting, every time I see your post on the 416 I just shake my head. Ive only shot a few of those and the recoil was noticeable. It’s a hell of a cartridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":2w2xgeml said:
That is some great shooting, every time I see your post on the 416 I just shake my head. Ive only shot a few of those and the recoil was noticeable. It’s a hell of a cartridge

Its quite lively in a single shot. I have one of the shoulder recoil pads, but about 20 rounds a sitting is all I want lol

Great shooting from a beast of a cartridge. If China ever releases some kind of mutated Tyrannosaurus Wooly Mammoth, I'm coming to your house. :lol: I'll bring 4 of my 06's.....I can slow them down and you can plant them. (y) :lol:

Cleveland48":osdb3a0z said:
salmonchaser":osdb3a0z said:

Its quite lively in a single shot. I have one of the shoulder recoil pads, but about 20 rounds a sitting is all I want lol

I don’t mind my #1 in .375 too much. Like you I put it in the 20 rounds from the bench category, love it kneeling or off hand just banging a plate. If I ever pump into a #1 in a 416 Rigby I’d probably buy it to go with the .275 rigby. But I doubt I would shoot it much more than I would a 416 Remington.

ShadeTree":12ca9s40 said:
Great shooting from a beast of a cartridge. If China ever releases some kind of mutated Tyrannosaurus Wooly Mammoth, I'm coming to your house. [emoji38] I'll bring 4 of my 06's.....I can slow them down and you can plant them. (y) [emoji38]
[emoji1787]

salmonchaser":34j8hhpi said:
Cleveland48":34j8hhpi said:
salmonchaser":34j8hhpi said:

I don’t mind my #1 in .375 too much. Like you I put it in the 20 rounds from the bench category, love it kneeling or off hand just banging a plate. If I ever pump into a #1 in a 416 Rigby I’d probably buy it to go with the .275 rigby. But I doubt I would shoot it much more than I would a 416 Remington.

A 416 rigby would be nice. I own a 275 but its in the Hawkeye african.

That 416 load will get the job done (y) 350gr TTSX works wonder for me in the 416 WBY , just set them and forget them. For me seating depth isn’t an issue , work up to the velocity I want and go.

RL338":3ba28c8g said:
That 416 load will get the job done (y) 350gr TTSX works wonder for me in the 416 WBY , just set them and forget them. For me seating depth isn’t an issue , work up to the velocity I want and go.
I was wondering about seating depth, because mine are only .015" off the lands. Which goes against everything I've seen with barnes in other calibers. In smaller calibers I always end up close to .100" or more jump. Im not complaining though, with a long drop tube and this seating depth I'm not having problems with compressed loads. Ive got some 81 gr of 4064 loads to try today, and a BLC-(2) load to try. If the rain holds off.

Going off of memory I believe (because someone didn’t record it) I’m at 0.075”off. Unlike most Weatherbys the freebore is rather short on the 416. My goal was to match or exceed factory ammo , which is really easy with RL-26. Low 2900 fps is what I settled for at 120grs of RL-26.

2900 fps thats sounds painful lol. I knew the weatherby was considerably faster. I did not realize it was that much faster. I bet that is a hammer

Back