Shepherd Scope

Too Tall

Handloader
Jul 5, 2011
Anybody ever shoot one of these? I put one on a .25-06 that I had built, several years before. It worked real good till this time.

I was working on the load, and had it down under 1". I had shot several groups at that measurement. Decided to sight it in, and wow, it is all over the place.

It was hitting 3" left and 2" high, and when I moved it to the right and down, it went wild.

Now my groups are 3-4".

Wrote them and waiting...

Maybe I'll put on a different scope and continue load development.

I never used one; it always looked too busy for my eyes. I have known a few people who used one. I don't recall anyone who actually used it having high praise; mostly, the comments were tepid.

I've heard comments about them that I cannot repeat here without being given the boot. I've always wondered to myself "could they really be that bad?? I never see an article on them, nor can I recall reading about them in any forum.

Check your rings and bases?.

I have used two of them since about 1993.

One on a suppressed 22 LR and the other on a long range AR15 or FNLAR w M80 ball. The stadia line circles for 556 worked well with 75 grain match ammo and but the 22 LR took some doing to figure out how to sight it in so the circles coincided w subsonic ammo. Eventually I found if I sighted it in a two mils high at 25 yards I could get the 50, 75 and 100 circles on a rock chuck out to 100 yards. (Hold top of back with 50 yard setting at 60). Have used this set up for years without difficulty. One nice thing about the Shepard is that you know when your scope has drifted out of alignment because you will see a small amount of offset on the stadia lines. This has only happened 2 or 3 times for me in 20 years. They are a pain to sight in but once there you are set. I would probably recommend a good target scope rather than the Shepard for the 22 LR range and elevation is so critical w the 1030 fps rimfire. For the 556 and 762 military semi autos it is a very practical quick scope.

I have a friend who has used one on a 7mag for many years. He lives in WY and would not use any other scope. He has not had any trouble. I also had a friend here(he passed away a few years back) who had 3 of them and they were reall nice to hunt with.

Guess the old saying "When in doubt, toss it out" sounds appropriate here. Change the scope before doing anything with your loads and KNOW that the scope is "on", then if the problem continues, start looking for the culprit, one step at a time.

Sounds like your scope went NORTH on you. My hunting buddy had one on a 308 he used for a while. It worked OK. Only problem he had was you could not see those fine circles and marks when the light conditions got low like the last 10 minutes of light when old mister big buck decided to step out into the open.

Yes I mounted another one and will continue with load testing. I wrote Shepherd, but have not heard back from them.

Used them a few times in the range. I can not say I like them though.

Back