Shooting Bench

we have one set up on our short range ,50 - 450 yards . these work great for a shooting bench . we dug in a little and buried the bottom of the spool . I made separate seats . two can shoot at the same time . very easy to set up a canopy over . if you do this , cover the holes in the top of the spool . if you don't the spool will eat your brass .

Carter loadin up Aug sixth.jpg Carter  rimfire Aug sixth.jpg

Looks Great Jim. Hope you treated the bottom of the reel you buried in the ground. The wood they are made from tends to rot easy when buried.
A suggestion would be to set it on some railroad cross ties or 6X6 pressure treated post.

here are what I build these days, have built 3 so far only thing I changed is use plywood for the top and aa 2x10 for the seat, thought about using a spool but it takes too large of a level spot here in this rocky ground to make it level so opted to just lever 5 spots 4"x4". and it takes 1/2 sheet of plywood,, 2 4x4x8,, and 4 2x6x8 plus whatever you want for a seat,, takes maybe 3 hours to build.

here are what I build these days, have built 3 so far only thing I changed is use plywood for the top and aa 2x10 for the seat, thought about using a spool but it takes too large of a level spot here in this rocky ground to make it level so opted to just lever 5 spots 4"x4". and it takes 1/2 sheet of plywood,, 2 4x4x8,, and 4 2x6x8 plus whatever you want for a seat,, takes maybe 3 hours to build.
That's a sturdy bench.

JD338

The small range in town has the exact benches. I will build one at some time with longer 4x4s , the seat to bench top height needs to be greater for me.

That is a nice-looking bench. Are the seats adjustable for height? The range I belong to has been trying different brand stools that are adjustable. The benches are wood and cement tops. Dan.

Back