M70 P64 243 Win Varmint

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I picked this ol heavy bird up a few months ago. Always wanted one of the heavy barreled P64's and this one was on GunBroker for a decent price. Finally got the right rings for it and got it shooting a little. I haven't loaded anything specifically for this rifle, it is a load I have for a Ruger M77 243 that has shot decent in the past.

The plan is to load up some 87 grain VMaxs or something similar as a varmint launcher. It is fun rifle to shoot with almost no recoil.

Beautiful rifle, Scotty!!!! Congrats

What is the twist, 10 ? Try some 55g Hammer Hunters, they would be awesome.

Very nice Scotty. Good to see someone shooting a 243 Win. With the Creedmoors on the scene, you don't hear much on the 243 anymore.
IMR4895 was my go to powder for 70-80 gr bullets and IMR4350 for 95-100 gr bullets.

JD338

Beautiful rifle, Scotty!!!! Congrats

What is the twist, 10 ? Try some 55g Hammer Hunters, they would be awesome.
Good idea AFG!

It is a 10 twist, so I purposefully wanna stay light as fast..

Scotty, I have a Leupold one piece base for a pre 64 70 in my parts box, Had it on a 375 that spent too much time with too little care in Alaska. I should send it to you in case you happen to find another pre 64.

Scotty,
That is one sweet little rig you have there! It’s gonna be murder on groundhogs and coyotes!
V/R,
Joe

Scotty, I have a Leupold one piece base for a pre 64 70 in my parts box, Had it on a 375 that spent too much time with too little care in Alaska. I should send it to you in case you happen to find another pre 64.
I just had to buy one of them darned things for my 300 H&H. It was just enough crooked I couldn't get the windage I needed.. One of the old Redfield Jr mounts.

Scotty,
That is one sweet little rig you have there! It’s gonna be murder on groundhogs and coyotes!
V/R,
Joe
I think so Joe. Maybe even a little hunter in a blind with me this Fall with the rifle set up on a Bog pod tripod with a vise to hold it for them?

nice clean rifle. I love my 243 though mine is an ugly Parker-Hale Midland but it shoots. I gotta say though, if I were starting out again with rifles and planning all the calibres I would buy to fill a safe, sadly the 243win just wouldn't be make the cut for my top 10 list. But I do have one and won't give it up (despite mine being ugly) I don't shoot 95 grainer's but rather some very old 90gn Sako SP's. Keep the flag flying for the 'ol 243, mate!

I still need to get back to this one.

It is a fun rifle to shoot!

I just traded my .243 for a 7mm-08 to give Noah's wife as a present. So, as of now I'm bereft of all 6mm rifles. I'm going to have to sell all my bullet stock now.

I just traded my .243 for a 7mm-08 to give Noah's wife as a present. So, as of now I'm bereft of all 6mm rifles. I'm going to have to sell all my bullet stock now.
Or... Or..... you might be able to find another 243 or 6mm that would be fun to carry around :cool:

I wouldn't mind a 6mm Remington, but doubt that I'll look for another 243. I'll be working with Noah and his wife to work up loads on the 7-08. Still, a rather large stock of 6mm pills will be going on the market here in Canada.

Back