Shooting bench

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
If I were to build a shooting bench(since I often have more time to shoot these days) How tall should it be? I already have plans in my mind, even for an adjustable seat. But if any one has plans already put together, I would like to see them if posible.
JD

I will also look forward to info on this. I am planning to build a bench out of 2" oak with post poured in concrete and I want it taller than the ones I find on the US Forest Service ranges in our area. Those are so low you have to slump over to get down to the rifle. Apparently they were built for people of VERY small statue. It seems to me that a more upright position would be more comfortabe for the taller group that I fit into and lend itself to less recoil. Will follow this thread for input from others.

I built one that fits in the reciever of my truck. You can lower the tail gate, swivel 180, adjust the seat height and also adjust the table height.

My go to "bench" is a folding table and a nice camp chair.

My bench is build on a 6x6 concrete slab and concrete blocks.
The top is poured concrete.
44" long
36"wide at the front
23"wide at the rear
33"high
Its user friendly for right or left hand shooters.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have my own range 20 yards from my back door.
Hope this helps.

I have build some wood benches but they were not stable.

a portable bench i use, is 2 high quality folding saw horses, a piece of plywood with 2" stiffeners, cut 4" short on the ends to sit on saw horses and but up to saw horse and a steel folding chair. 2 minutes to set up and very stable. then your standard rifle rest and sandbags. my table is about 24" by 48" any size you feel you need is a simple deal. and it can also be used as a camp table or work table.

This is an interesting subject fellas.

Keep on bringing in the ideas...

Also interested in what others come up with.....
I like the dual usage idea though....I've been using a plastic 6ft table from Sams Club and sitting on a milk crate.... It's always been good and stable with a lot of room for data gathering notebooks etc...
GUNS2008021.jpg

I am thinking of building one from 4X4 posts for legs and frame. A 1/2 inch ply wood top, and for the adjustable seat, I am thinking along the lines of using a scissor jack attached to a 4X4 mounted horizontally from underneath the bench. on top of the scissor jack I will mount a boat seat (that swivels). I will initially set the seat up to fit me. And when someone shorter than me,(my daughter or Son)wants to use it, I can raise the seat up to suit their needs.

Powerstroke":1udor6do said:
Also interested in what others come up with.....
I like the dual usage idea though....I've been using a plastic 6ft table from Sams Club and sitting on a milk crate.... It's always been good and stable with a lot of room for data gathering notebooks etc...
GUNS2008021.jpg

That is my bench right there. Lots of room for the lap top or note pad. ammo and the chrony.
I thought you were older :) How do you get into your truck? :lol:

Old #7,

Getting in the truck is no issue at all for me.... aught to see what happens when I pull the trigger on the .300RUM there tho :shock:

Powerstroke":19pyh31e said:
Old #7,

Getting in the truck is no issue at all for me.... aught to see what happens when I pull the trigger on the .300RUM there tho :shock:

That is funny :lol:

Slipshot, I like the plans shown in the first link you listed. I may use them to build mine by instead of concreete poured around post with an oak platform as I had intended. Thanks for the info.

Back