Shooting/Breathing

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
I've been looking around the last few days reading various articles on the correct breathing techniques while shooting. I know that everyone has their own style when shooting and I know that there are other variables that come into to play at the shot. I read where some believe that you should take a deep breath, pause with the lungs full of air and shoot, which is what I grew up doing. Others believe that you should let 50% of the air out and then pause and shoot. It appears that the majority say to let all the air out of the lungs then pause and shoot which is what I practice doing now.
I know there are some good shooters on this forum and if you don't mind sharing I would like to know what your breathing techniques are when you squeeze the trigger? Thank You! Mike

I was taught to let what feels like about half or 2/3 of the air out - then hold briefly - and make the shot.

It's worked well in competition and while hunting.

I think the key thing is to be consistent. It's easy to see the results of taking some of your shots with lungs full of air, and other shots after letting the breath out, particularly at longer ranges... The vertical stringing gets pretty obvious.

I've often thought that we needed a "shooting" sub-section on the Nosler forum, for marksmanship tips, practices, etc...

Guy

Let your individual "wobble zone" tell you, you can see in the xhairs and determine what works best for you.

Same thing shooting at game, I let MY "wobble zone" I am seeing in the scope decide for me whether or not I am in MY comfort zone to make each shot as opportunity comes. Every shooting position is different every time on game.

My understanding is that we naturally pause between breaths and that is when I squeeze the trigger. Holding your breath will quicken your pulse I don't like to see my heart beat in my scope.

longwinters":3d5jhoog said:
My understanding is that we naturally pause between breaths and that is when I squeeze the trigger. Holding your breath will quicken your pulse I don't like to see my heart beat in my scope.

+1 on that (y)

The really advanced guys I've shot against (and lost to) tell me that not only do they time their shots between breaths...

But that they time their shots between heartbeats...

So - bump your training up a notch if you can... :mrgreen:

The metabolic impetus to breathe is not lack of oxygen but the increase of carbon dioxide in the blood. Exhaling eliminates carbon dioxide and slows the pulse. which ever your body likes 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 exhale and pause then shoot. However, the longer you hold your breath the faster your pulse will be. Inhaling and exhaling several deep breaths prior to pulling the trigger works best for me. Avoiding coffee and other caffeinated drinks helps a lot on a shooting day.

Scott

I've read about between heart beats. I think I saw that in the movie "Sniper" too. That's being very aware of your condition. I can sometimes feel the pulse in my neck against my rifle stock but I can't say I could ever sync my shot with the beats. I let out a comfortable amount of air before I pull the trigger, I really can't say if its 1/2 or 1/4. I tried to hold my breath years ago but I found that I was exhaling just as I pulled the trigger, a sympathetic reflex of sorts.

Years ago I worked out to keep my pulse at 1 beat per minute. That gave me 1 minute to get the shot off before the next heartbeat moved the rifle. Trouble with that method is the heartbeats are strong and really moves the rifle so you must learn to work with it. But it worked for me and won me a bunch of trophys that are now in a old cardboard box out in the shop.
At the moment of the shot my breath is always held.

I'm guessing you were going for one beat per second...although one beat per minute would be highly impressive!

Like anything in shooting, especially at longer ranges where every mistake is magnified, the key is consistency. For me, and I think for most, the most consistent point to break the shot is during the natural respiratory pause as you fully exhale.

A slight difference in the amount of air in your lungs can have a significant change in point of impact at extended ranges. If you don't believe me go out and shoot a group at 1000 yards with consistent breath/breaking the shot and then do the same but break the shot at different points in the respiratory cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think your right. 60 beats per minute sounds better but that was a long time ago. A member of the Marksmanship unit at Ft. Benning told me if you get below 60 beats then the pulse is so strong it's hard to get back on target. I was in my mid 20's.
FWIW, Around 40 years old I had a bunch of tests run. One was a 24 hour heartbeat monitor. My heartbeat averaged around 30 beats per minute with a low of 15. My neurologist said if I wasn't a runner and TKD instructor she'd think I was dead.
All that is in the past. I'm right at 63 with a host of ailments to my joints and spine. I can hardly walk now much less run.

Back