shooting chronograph

gunjunky

Beginner
Jan 23, 2009
Just bought a shooting chrony beta master. Wanted to see if anyone knows if the ballistic software they offer is any good. Or if any other software will retrieve data from it.

I have used the Shooting Chrony Beta for some years now (and I've managed to shoot a couple, as well). It is a great chronograph, delivering excellent results if I take the time to set it up correctly. I have not used the ballistic software. If you choose to buy it, I'd surely be interested in hearing of your experience with it, however.

LOL Mike I have send a chorny to its final resting place as well. They need to make those things bullet proof!

If you have a shooting chrony in the master series, where the comptuter unit is seperate from the skyscreens, you can buy a new skyscreen unit for about $40.00. Don't ask me how or why I know this. :roll:

They take a pretty good hit. I've shot the ears off of several, and they kept right on churning out data. I mean, who would've believed you could get 4000 fps out of a 358 loaded with 250 grain Partitions? :shock: Okay, they do need some recalibration on occasion. I keep extra skyscreens now, just in case. And I always carry a spare Beta Master unit in my kit. Having said that, they are a great unit. Shooting Chrony has an exchange program for those times when you manage to "disable" one of their units. I have them on speed dial now.

Yeah, dont keep shooting lower when trying to capture .17 bullets.... I too have benefited from the Exhange Program.. Its not a matter if, its when.....

Rod

So far my research is pointing to three programs. Oehler Ballistic explorer, Quick load, and RCBS.load . Quickload looks good because of internal Ballistics. RCBS.load looks good for loading chronograph hand load data. Quickload may be the best user interface. Oehler allows you to compare 3 loads for the same caliber on one graph.
So im still looking and more undecided than when I began this search. :evil:

I have an Oehler 35. I take my readingd and plug them into the ballistic calculator on www.biggameinfo.com and create my drop chart.
Here I am checking loads for a 7mm RUM.
7mmRUMLoadWorkUp002.jpg

JD338

Regarding ballistics programs, I used the Oehler from the early 90's thru 2000 something. It was the DOS based version and I really did like it. Was looking for a windows based program when I received Sierra's Infinity program for Fathers Day, I am completely happy with it. And I can graph 3 different loads for comparison.

Ther are quite a few freeware programs out there that are plenty good, the downsides to those freebies is their application is limited to one load viewing & basic info. There is one I like for printing out a range card and that is JBM Ballistics.

Also I have a Excel based program that I use from time to time when internet availibity is not possible that has proven to be very accurate, but limited to one load viewing. If interested I can email you this as an attachment.

I have been using Exbal for a while and it is spot on, I have tested it out to 1000 yards. Great program. If you need me to run some numbers for you just let me know.

I think I found the best of the best for hand loaders, hunters and long range shooters. RSI shooting lab.This is the mother load for reloaders who are always looking for the best load performance. Take a few minutes to view this product and the other hardware they offer. They dont try to estimate pressures witch is a safe thing. You can link your chronograph to the software and analyze shot strings. The program has a ton of info to look at. Check it out and tell me what you think.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ballistics.htm[/color

check this hardware out.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/pressure.htm

I used Pact Professional Chronograph. Reads velocity very accurately. The data I gathered is feed into my Exbal and I'm good to go.

Back