shortages

barthowes

Beginner
Feb 20, 2010
Wow. is all I can say. I had a friend go to the not so local cabelas to get me some reloading supplies especially powder. They had squat. The manager in that section said they had sold out of most and didn't know when they could get more. I looked at cabelas online, grafs, midway, midsouth,ect no one had both TAC and x-terminator in stock. Heck most site barely had anything in stock powder wise. Oh well. I'll give it a couple months to see if it straightens out.

Other than getting caught w/o a good supply of small pistol primers, since I hadn't reloaded .38 or .357 in years, my buying practices have me in good shape for the next year or two, easily.

Something I've advised a lot of handloaders - as it's gotten me through other shortages:

Figure out what you use. The brass, powder, primer & bullets.

Then lay in a good supply. Buy in bulk. Eight pound powder jugs. Primers by 1,000 - 5,000 (or more). Buy a few bags/boxes of brass and when SPS has a sale on your favorite bullets, get a thousand of them.

This isn't just useful during shortages, it makes sure you've got a steady supply of the same components used to work up your favorite load. No powder lot variances. Did you know that bullet makers replace their bullet-making dies from time to time? This year's 180 gr .30 cal may not have the exact same shape & size as last year's bullet - despite being the same part number. Different lots of powder, primers, brass & bullets may affect your load - so ensure some consistency by buying in bulk.

Normally I keep H4350, Varget & Unique on hand in 8 pound jugs. When I get halfway through a jug, I go get another.

Many of my less-used powders I'll have only a couple of pounds on hand, like Retumbo.

Scoop up a mess of .22 rimfire ammo too - couple an ample supply of .22 long rifle with a good rifle & pistol and you've got the makings of many outstanding range sessions. Love my .22's!

Regards, Guy

If the pattern from past shortages hold, it will take until summer before components begin showing up again. In the interim, anticipate not just exorbitant prices on components, but obscene prices. Does anyone remember $180 for 1000 magnum primers? I would anticipate that these shortages may be exaggerated this time by the uncertainty over potential congressional action in implementing an "assault weapons ban" and in the possibility of state action in some of the blue and purple states.

DrMike said, "Does anyone remember $180 for 1000 magnum primers?"

No, but I do remember $18 for a 1000 Fed. 215s, as I still have some of that 1000 :grin: .

Kodiak":qim5upcf said:
DrMike said, "Does anyone remember $180 for 1000 magnum primers?"

No, but I do remember $18 for a 1000 Fed. 215s, as I still have some of that 1000 :grin: .

If I saw that, Jim, I'd own all they had. :lol:

Guys I could not find 22 LR's in walmart, Sportsmans wearehouse and some other places. Got them in Dick's in Colorado Springs.

Even the illustrious Harry Reid said assault weapons legislation will not be brought to the floor of the Senate. The Dems lost both the Senate and the House in 1994 because of the first ban, and they don't want a repeat. So.... All this will pass in time. I agree with DrMike, it might take till summer, but the pipeline will refill - with fresh stock. BT

The last time this jerk was sworn in, we did not have any primers of powder for almost two years. What make anyone think this time is any different? I remember $80/1000 primers! In fact several of the enterprising young thieves on GunBroker are already selling $70/1000 primers.

barthowes":55o49rqv said:
Wow. is all I can say. I had a friend go to the not so local cabelas to get me some reloading supplies especially powder. They had squat. The manager in that section said they had sold out of most and didn't know when they could get more. I looked at cabelas online, grafs, midway, midsouth,ect no one had both TAC and x-terminator in stock. Heck most site barely had anything in stock powder wise. Oh well. I'll give it a couple months to see if it straightens out.
You might want to find another suitable powder while you still can and work up some new loads. Grafs still has some available that are suitable for almost any purpose. You are using a couple of popular rf powders, they may not be around for awhile.

BeeTee":2mglclec said:
.......... All this will pass in time. I agree with DrMike, it might take till summer, but the pipeline will refill - with fresh stock. BT

I so agree. I have been telling all my friends here not to freak out and drink the kool-aid!

10/22's at $600.00? Seriously?

Its bad when the scalpers sell the stuff at a huge markup, its worse when someone actually pay's that price. Like Guy, I stockup on the items I use a lot.
Russ

Go look for 5.7x28mm ammo or brass!

The 20 round mags are selling at BMW prices!

I went by the local gun store in the nearest town today, looking for what they had in stock for primers and ammo. I had gotten a Gift Certificate for Christmas which I used to pay for part of what I bought. They had plenty of pistol ammo, except for 9mm Parabellum which they were out of. I bought some .40 S&W, Critical Defense, Hornady ammo.

Plus that had a couple boxes of 1000 CCI, small pistol, magnum primers so I grabbed 300 more of those to add to my stash. Other than that, the store was picked pretty clean, especially of handguns.

The only handguns that they had in stock was a few Taurus revolvers and a few 9mm to .45 auto handguns, mostly FN and Sig autos. Business was slow. Usually if I go there around lunch time, it is crowded with people looking at guns. The long guns were better stocked except for the black rifles which were gone altogether.

I don't advise freaking out, and I definately don't advise paying scalper prices for anything right now. I think it is prudent to have enough stuff on hand to load and shoot through October. I think it will be that long before the supply chain returns to some sort of normalcy. Found a pretty well stocked local retailer today and picked up a pound of HS-6 for the 9mm and maybe a few 12ga bird loads. All I need to find now are a few hundred SP primers and I'm good to go.

Back