Should I spiral flute my bolt??

rquack

Beginner
Nov 9, 2005
Does anyone have any info [derived from actual shooting comparisons] of degradations in accuracy resulting from adding spiral flutes to a Rem 700 bolt in a modestly built custom .257 Roberts rifle? I didn't think it would affect it, but my smith [whose quite conservative about such things] has recommended against it for fear of introducing stresses into the bolt which might still affect accuracy even though the body resides aft of the locked up lugs. I know that PacNor does this as a service and it is performed by a few custom gunsmiths out there. But does anyone have any experience after making this enhancement to their firearm?

Do it! It doesn't affect accuracy at all, and on most rifles I think it looks great. After all, fluting a barrel doesn't degrade accuracy! Post some pics after you get it done.

ScreaminEagle":3vxzqg0l said:
Do it! It doesn't affect accuracy at all, and on most rifles I think it looks great. After all, fluting a barrel doesn't degrade accuracy! Post some pics after you get it done.

If the fluting is done after the barrel is manufactured it can affect the accuracy and more so on a button rifled barrel. That is why manufacturers won't warranty a barrel if it is recontoured or fluted after it leaves their shop. Button barrels have some induced stress from the manufacturing and while they are stress relieved the bore can grow with recontouring. Hart will tell you they relap their barrels when they recontour them and typically wont recontour a target contour to a sporter. It risks leaving the bore size out of their specs after lapping. Most people don't know that button rifled barrels are contoured after rifling to produced consistent twist and bore sizes. Cut rifled barrels are contoured and then rifled.

I purchased a Red Hawk Rifle in 300WSM that started life as a model 700 LSS and has the barrel and bolt fluted. The barrel is also cryo'd before being screwed back on. Here are a couple pictures of how it looks:

P1000086.jpg

P1000082.jpg

The fluting on the bolt and barrel after the fact didn't seem to hurt this rifles accuracy...

P1000093.jpg

Joel, you're killing me with that rifle! It's not like I have any self control anyway, and I'm a total sucker for a tight-shooting 700!

Joel,

I'd 'bout reckon that load'll do. Good looking rifle, man.

Thanks for the many replies.

To 257 Ackley: First of all, NICE rifle! Next, NICE shooting. I agree that the spiral flutes on the bolt had no adverse impact on your rifle's accuracy potential. I hope the 257 Roberts I'm having built shoots as well.

To All: Thanks very much for all of your input and experience. I think I'll probably be shooting the new rifle a bit after its arrival and after the new-ness wears off a bit, then send it out for a bit of cosmetic surgery. Can't help it, I'm a bit mesmerized by the uniqueness of the spiral fluting on the bolts.

[Waiting on this rifle is a bit like waiting on the birth of a new child. During the gestation period, I'm doing all sorts of equipment planning and procurement. And getting a few loads ready to go to break in the barrel, sight in the rifle, and then begin load development. Anticipation..... ]

Joel's rifle is an awesome shooter. Here is another group, shot with his rifle.

DSC_2903.jpg

By the way, it was Woodycreek that threw the last shot!

I really like the looks of some of those bolts! Might have to dress up one of mine sometime and see how I like it.

SJB358":2jouwtf2 said:

DSC_2903.jpg

That was a nice group you shot for a rifle you had never squeezed the trigger on before 8) .

257 Ackley":2rlyat67 said:
SJB358":2rlyat67 said:

DSC_2903.jpg

That was a nice group you shot for a rifle you had never squeezed the trigger on before 8) .

That was all Brian. I just went to smashing the 300 yard steel with it. I can't shoot little groups like that unless my wobbles coordinate with my wibbles!

Ahh...I didn't recall who shot tighter groups at the range :roll: . I think we almost convinced Brian to buy a 300WSM that day! :p

:wink: Go for it .................. a spiral flute is a very classy way to dress up any gun!

I've got an older model Remington 700 titanium in 7-08 with a spiral flute bolt and it shoots great. I believe Remington's idea was to save a little weight by adding this process and my personal feeling is that it looks great and the bolt seems to ride a little smoother on the rails. My rifle without scope or ammo weighs less than six pounds. I use it for my Northeast deer hunting and it's a pleasure to carry in the woods.

257 Ackley":2x50c7i9 said:
Ahh...I didn't recall who shot tighter groups at the range :roll: . I think we almost convinced Brian to buy a 300WSM that day! :p

Almost, but I think it'll be hard to pull the RUM out of his mind. I don't blame him though. He shoots them well and has his load work down to a gnats butt..

Message for 257 Ackley, How are those guys at red hawk rifle to work with, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a 7MM,

Back