Should the 375 H&H be crimped?

chundoo

Beginner
Apr 25, 2005
I'm loading some 260 grain AccuBonds for a 375 H&H Mag. I normally don't crimp rifle bullets unless they're going to be used in a tubular magazine. Due to the recoil of the 375 I'm planning to crimp but I've had trouble getting good accuracy in the past when crimping. Does anyone know whether it's recommended to crimp for the 375 or not? If it's not needed, I'll just skip that step. If it should be crimped, does a separate crimp die provide significant advantages?

Thank you

A lot depends on the brass and bullet, neck tension. I worked up loads for two 375 H&Hs a few years back for a couple of friends going to Africa. With a 300gr Nosler Partition no crimp was necessary, bullets didn't move under recoil. Using a 300 gr Swift A-Frame, a crimp was necessary to prevent bullet movement. I always crimp in a seperate step. I tried seating/crimping in a single step but was not satisfied with the results.Rick.

As opposed to Rick's findings, I did not find a need to crimp 300 grain Swift A-Frame bullets in two different 375 H&H rifles I loaded for. I never crimped them, really did not think about it. Both rifles went to Africa and killed a mess of game, no problems.

I do not like the idea of crimping rifle ammo unless it is going to be used in a lever gun.

In my .375Wby when developing my load with the 300gr TSX I find I do not need to crimp the round.

I have loaded 260 gr. AB and 270 gr. TSX in my 375 Ruger and don't crimp. Havn't seen any reason to they stay put pretty well.

I agree with the others that you do not need to crimp. I do not crimp for my 338 RUM either.

JD338

Guess I need to tell you how I decided to crimp the Swift's. First I measured to the ogive on several seated rounds. Loaded three rounds in the rifle and fired two, loaded two on top of the one still in the mag box and fired two, ejected the fired round and measured to the ogive. The round had been pushed into the case, don't remember how many thousants, and we decided to crimp the case to avoid any problems while they hunted cape buffalo.Rick.

I have always crimped my 375 H&H rounds, I use a lee factory crimp die. I crimp all of my larger caliber rifle rounds.

If in a bolt or single action gun...........

make best load with out crimp

make best load with crimp

pick the accurate one !

My 416 WBY does 3100 fps with a 330 GS custom. No problem with moving bullets and well under .75" at 100 yards.

Yep, I have seen what that 416 will do and it will shoot. When I had one a 416 Wby it would shoot the 350gr TSX mighty fine and I never had to crimp my rounds.

crimp your hunting loads, it will not hurt. the lee crimp die works great on all bullets

Back