Sierra Gameking BTHP

Guybo

Handloader
Aug 4, 2005
Does anyone here have any hands on hunting experience with the Sierra Gameking HP? Sierra's claim is that it's a tough bullet made for hunting but just looking around i don't see many reviews on them anywhere. I did see the one in the bullet test section where the 120gr .257 came apart on the third jug, didn't look to tough to me. I was just curious to see if anyone has used the gameking hp's in the field and if so how do they compare to tipped bullets or the standard cup and core soft points in accuracy and on game performance? Thanks!

No hands on experience but folks I know have used them on game.

All reports have it as a very accurate bullet that is OK for deer and antelope but leaves much to be desired for elk in that it lacks penetration.

I hope that helps.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I use the Sierra hollow point in several cartridges. The 160 grain iteration is one of my "go to" bullets for the 7mm WSM. It works quite well even at those higher velocities.

I've used the 90gr .257 bullet in my Roberts running 3100fps and it doesn't blow up on varmints.

I've used the 165 grain .30 caliber on Deer and have had no complaints. This bullet has the same design as their match bullets and I've found it to be very accurate.

I used to use the 30 cal. 165 HP Game King with great success on deer. When Sierra says that they are made for big game is because most of their other HP bullets are varmint bullets made to blow up on impact. The Game King HP has the same jacket thickness as their other Game King SP bullets but it has a HP which is much better to be used in semi auto rifles to aid with function. I used the above mentioned bullet in an M1 Garand and a Springfield M1A semi auto and they functioned great and killed game really well and were as accurate as the 168 Match King bullet which was really a flip of a coin as to how it was going to react when hitting game. Sometimes it would go into a deer and explode, some times would exit blowing fist size holes and other times it would just act like a FMJ.

I've used a lot of them, 6.5 140's; 7mm 140's; 30 cal. 165's, 180's and the 200 grainers. All have worked very well on game and I had zero failures! None, and all have been accurate. Even the 6.5/140's at 3,000 fps-6.5/300WSM and the 200's at 3100 from a 300 Jarrett still hammered them, much tougher then you'd think. Even the 165's from an '06 was well worth using.

...I've killed antelope & mule deer w/ the 120gr. .25 cal, mule deer & elk w/ the 160gr. 7mm & 165gr. .30cal, never had a problem w/ 'em performing like they're designed to, & they have been very accurate...

I use the 165gr HPGK in my .308 Winchester for deer in the orchards and vineyards around the house. I am pleased with its performance on deer at close range at moderate velocities. I've shot several deer with this bullet from 40-150 yards and all have dropped at the shot. I have one I recovered from a doe at 87 yards. I'll try to remember to post a picture of it when I get home. I will use that bullet all day on deer, but I would rather shoot an AccuBond, Partition, A-frame or TSX for elk. I've found Sierra bullets are a little too soft to punch through the shoulders of elk, and for elk, I want to break their shoulders. I have shot several elk with the 180 gameking, but, I now shoot 168TSX out of my .308 when I break it out for elk.

The HP gamekings are considerably tougher that their soft nose counterparts.

I do use the 85gr .243 and the 7mm 160gr GKHP, both are very good performers on game. They have killed the deer and Bear I shot with them quick.

First bullet I used in the 30.06 was the 165 grain HP. I switched back and forth with the 165 SPT and have no complaints about either one. The HP did group a bit tighter.

They are a very accurate bullet in both my 30-06 and 243. I will be using the 165 gr HPBT in my '06 next week when our deer season starts. Hopefully, I'll get to see first hand how it does, but I am not worried about it. I've not had any problems with other gamekings I've tried.

I have used Sierra's .243 85gr HPBT in my 6mm Remington and have had excellent success with them and my son shot a Antelope at just under 400 Yds and it flatten it and one of the most impressive DRT shots of any caliber I have ever seen. It passed clean through even at 400 YDS. It also was very accurate. I still use them today for Coyotes only going to a different bullet for deer because I wanted a higher BC bullet.

I and friends I load for have used them for years. They have taken many whitetails from almost point blank to past 600yds, many hogs, one antelope and one Elk. I have shot them in 25cal, 270, 7mm and 30cal. All worked without question. One of my go to bullets. Rick.

Interesting isn't it?

For most of us, the hollow point design means that the bullet is either a target bullet, or a varmint bullet - certainly not one intended for big game!

But...

Sierra's hollow point GameKing design has been around for a long time, and has earned a good reputation as a game-taker. I first tried a box of the 85 gr HPBT Sierras, all the way back in the mid-late 1970's. My first use of them was as varmint bullets, and I was unhappy because although superbly accurate, they didn't blow up rockchucks like the 75 grain hollow points had!

Barnes has produced hollow point bullets, for years now, that are obviously very good big game bullets. Penetration is their strong point.

Berger found out that their VLD hollow-point target bullets work great as hunting bullets - and actually penetrate considerably deeper than conventional hunting bullets before starting to expand. Folks don't "get" that...

So - yeah - sometimes we need to open our minds a little, ask questions like this - and learn from others. The hollow point can be a very good hunting bullet, not just a target or varmint bullet.

Morning Musings over a cuppa coffee.

Guy

I always thought the Sierra BTHPs would act like Match bullets which I had seen my uncle use them in his 30-06 on deer with poor results (blow ups). I then read an article by the late Bob Milek of how to build your own elk rifle yourself. He picked the 30-06 and a Mauser action,etc, even shaped/fitted his own stock. For bullets he settled on the 165, but he chose the 165 Sierra BTHP! He then went on and shot a cow elk ( I think, its been a long time ago!) with it with no problems at all. I was impressed as Bob was a very practical and honest writer I felt. He really liked the Speer BT 120gr/25-06 for mule deer ( his sons killed elk with 25-06s but used head shots!) Rick Jamison's articles on using the 25-06 and the Hornady 120 HP was also an eye opener for me. I myself have never killed any game with the Sierra but my handloads in a 257 Roberts A!/Hornady 120HP worked for a couple friends very weel on whitetail/hogs. I have shot a wad of game with Barnes X,XBT,XLC,TSX and Failsafes though. I like the hollow points IF the bullet is designed for game of course. I am still too spooked to use Match bullets on game, ha.

Here's the pic of the bullet I pulled from a doe mule deer, she was about 150 yards, slightly quartering towards me, bullet broke the first shoulder and we found it under the hide by the third rib. This is why I prefer a little tougher bullet for elk. Sounds ironic coming from me since I use Berger's in my .300 Win. Mag.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,487
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,487
Killed a lot of deer in the 308 Win with IMR 4064 and 165 gr BTHP Sierra GK........one of my favorite bullets.

Back