Sight upgrade help.

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
I have a Lyman Deerstalker flintlock. As per state Regs, must have metallic sights. I like the williams fire sights but they dont make any for this rifle. Any suggestions?

Have you tried painting the front sight? Try different colors see which works best, orange, yellow, sky blue whatever. As I recall that rifle has a thick white front sight bead. I replaced one with a smaller brass looking bead sight then painted orange. Worked for me. Dan.

Have you tried painting the front sight? Try different colors see which works best, orange, yellow, sky blue whatever. As I recall that rifle has a thick white front sight bead. I replaced one with a smaller brass looking bead sight then painted orange. Worked for me. Dan.
The factory sight is orange Dan. I'd like to get a firesight type rear sight.

If it's legal I've not found a rear sight yet that beats a peep sight. The firesight should be fine for the front but I would at least try a peep and see how well you shoot with it.

That Lyman Deerstalker is made by Investarms, who also makes the other Hawken-style rifles for Lyman, Cabela's, etc. It is a very near clone of the TC Hawken, and measures 15/16" across the flats. The Williams sight for the TC Hawken will fit with no problems, as will most any other sight. Tang-mounted sights will require gunsmithing, tho.

That Lyman Deerstalker is made by Investarms, who also makes the other Hawken-style rifles for Lyman, Cabela's, etc. It is a very near clone of the TC Hawken, and measures 15/16" across the flats. The Williams sight for the TC Hawken will fit with no problems, as will most any other sight. Tang-mounted sights will require gunsmithing, tho.
Is this the sight you are referring to?

Williams offers this for the T-C muzzle loaders, I didn't see one specifically for the Lyman Deerstalker, but perhaps it would fit?

Also looked at Lyman's web site and found a photo of a fire-sight rear sight for a muzzle loader, but no product number or price for that particular sight. Perhaps a call to Lyman would be a good place to start?

Regards, Guy
Called Lyman. They believe it would fit.

I'm trying to find it in stock. If anyone see's that available please let me know. Thanks!

Call Williams Gun Sight, if they don't have one, they can make you one. Their gunsmithing is top notch.

JD338

Back