Silver scope?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Well now that dad has his rifles ordered, I know he will be looking for a scope. I am guessing that he will be looking for a silver scope. I know that Leupold VXII 3-9 come in silver. What other scopes are out there in silver that would work well on a 25-06?

There is certainly nothing wrong with a VX3; it is a fine scope that will serve your dad quite well.

Some one here on the board posted some pics of a nice looking paint job on a rifle recently. However, the thing I noticed was two different color rings. On a stainless rifle the lower rings were silver and the top halves were black with a black scope. Thought it looked real nice. buying an "extra set" of rings isnt usually in my budget but it looked nice. To my eye a a Matte scope looks OK on a stainless rifle. I have a couple VX-II's. Happy with them. A VX-3 would be nice. CL

Found it.

download/file.php?id=4642&mode=view

Personally, I do not care for silver scopes and have just used a regular black scope and rings for my stainless rifles. That way, I don't end up with a single use silver scope either.

What did your dad order? I guess that I missed that? If he ordered a .25-06, he may want to go a little higher in magnification because of the long range potential of that caliber. My .25 caliber rifles have always had 10-12X scopes because I used them for mountain hunting and for varmits as well sometimes. The 4-12X focal length scopes are pretty popular for that caliber. Just a thought.

My one regret on setting up my .300 WinMag M70 is that I put a silver B&L scope on it. Unfortunately, I'm also pretty superstitious, so until something starts going wrong, there it will stay.

You can water dip a scope and yes it is not cheap but it is reasonable depending on the installer? Not too many colored scopes.from manufacturer that I know of ?

Google silver rifle scopes and then hit images :mrgreen: lotta options !

Silver scopes…. Leupold, Nikon and Burris….just off the top of my head.

Note that most "silver" rings are really nickel colored or plated, so they won't match the color of the stainless rifle or the silver scope. As a result you might prefer matte rings, and if you're going that far then a matte scope fits the bill.

And no, I have no idea why they use nickel color which matches so few rifles or scopes, but it is what it is.

An alternative to get a closer "silver" match for rings is Talley Manufacturing. The Lightweights are matte silver aluminum and look very close to most stainless finish actions and silver scopes. Added benefit is with no joint between the base and lower ring half, they are strong, and look clean.

Dr. Vette":f08kwvpo said:
Note that most "silver" rings are really nickel colored or plated, so they won't match the color of the stainless rifle or the silver scope. As a result you might prefer matte rings, and if you're going that far then a matte scope fits the bill.

And no, I have no idea why they use nickel color which matches so few rifles or scopes, but it is what it is.

Very true... most of the silver colored scopes look (IMHO) worse than sticking a matte scope on a stainless rifle.

Of all the common silver finished scopes I think the Leupold matches the look of most stainless rifles best.

This is why I use Black mounts and rings (black) anodized with stainless rifles. I can get them to match each other but not a nickel plated scope. Plus, I move scopes fairly often and I don't want to limit my freedom as to which gun can be used for which scope. I get along best with this arrangement and I don't, as a rule, like stainless rifles anyhow.

VX3 or Zeiss conquest.

I quit buying silver scopes due to me swapping out guns so much. Could you imaging a silver scope on my 7mm Bee Euromark?

dubyam":1508xhik said:
An alternative to get a closer "silver" match for rings is Talley Manufacturing. The Lightweights are matte silver aluminum and look very close to most stainless finish actions and silver scopes. Added benefit is with no joint between the base and lower ring half, they are strong, and look clean.

Not commenting on the silver scope or rings but I will say that the Talley One Piece Base and Rings is a good set-up and what I have on my 25-06. I don't think anyone would go wrong with the proper Talley set-up.

One thing is they are hard to resale and they have a reflective glare that can be distracting when sighting at a target. I bought silver Ultra Dots for my target pistols because the blue/black models were always sold out and the silver was easier to get. I would blacken the lens ring so it wouldn't glare even with a mate finish.

Don't have any silver colored scopes, never have. Do have one that's been painted brown, tan and olive over the years, depending. Pretty ugly old Leupold, on my "Green Machine" rifle.

Re the .25-06, I literally couldn't be happier with the fixed 6x, using the 42mm obj lens. It's one heck of a scope. I keep that rifle zeroed at 300 yards and it's like a doggone death ray on coyotes, mule deer and now on pronghorn as well, from 20 yards to 420 yards, it just flat works. Mostly one-shot kills. The scope, rifle & load all seem to work together real well for me.

I think the important thing is that your father gets a scope he will enjoy using, and that works well for him.

Regards, Guy

Even with my electoless nickel, Mark V, .340 Weatherby, I used Matte black rings and bases. I really can not handle the not being able to freely switch scopes, rings and mounts between rifles.

Back