Silvertip omen

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
I posted a while back about finding that old .270 win silvertip on a hunting trip and believing it was an omen I opted to hunt mule deer this year with a .270 win. instead of my 7mm mag. I ended up purchasing a Jack O'Connor Tribute Winchester Model 70 and loaded it with 130 partitions. Well, the mojo played out. After five previous unsuccessful mule deer excursions I finally tagged one. It wasn't a big'un just a fork horn, but it was a first. Maybe I've broken the jinx.

I had a very good opening morning in New Mexico. I circled a ridge and sat watching a clearing. A coyote walked by at about 25 feet and got out 40 yds before he was introduced to the Nosler Partition. I continued my hunt on around the ridge about a half mile still hunting and glassing. I set up on a saddle to get a breather and let my jacket dry out from the sweat. After thirty minutes or so I watched the buck get up out of his bed beneath a Pinon Pine. He was on my back trail and I must of passed within about 50 yds of him getting to the saddle. Anyhow at 250 yds I hit him in the right shoulder and due to the quartering angle it exited up his neck. The 130 Partition held together through some heavy bone and tissue but didn't ruin much of the neck meat. It was a bang flop.

Boy that featherweight .270 sure did handle well in the mountains. Just heavy enough to settle down to shoot but not too heavy to break down your shoulder carrying it.

Congratulations, Bruce. It does indeed sound as if your jinx has been broken. The .270 is a fine rifle, and chambered in the Winchester Featherweight, it would no doubt perform marvellously for you.

Very cool.

Yes, the .270 Win, particularly in a Model 70, is a CLASSIC mule deer cartridge!

Congrats.

Guy

Congratulations. I bet you will bag many more deer with that great rifle and that fine cartridge.

Isn't it amazing how deer will let you walk right by and then get up and move after you have passed?

Congratulations and man what a classic set-up you were hunting with. I could see J.O. right there with you! (y)

I love the looks of those Jack O'Connor Featherweight rifles. I am envious of you!

Those are nice rifles and every buck is a trophy! Got you some winter meat and found a load that shoots great in a great rifle!

What was your load for that 130 Partition?

I have hunted with my Winchester Model 70 Classic .30-06 for years but my aging Grandfather gave me an Interarms .270 this year that I plan to use for one of my deer tags next year. Am look specifically at 130 grain bullets out of its 22" barrel.

My load for the 130 Partition is 57.5 grs H-4350 Nosler Case, Federal 210 primer, over all length is 3.33". This load generates 3100 fps out of the 22" barrel.

Thank ya'll for your good thoughts. I couldn't be happier with the rifle or the hunt. The sausage will be ready in about a week or so and the well...the back straps are already gone. The whole clan chimed in that they hadn't ever had mule deer and insisted on finding out. Man they were sure tasty. I'd say just as good or maybe a tad better than the corn fed whitetail deer from my neck of the woods.

I'd say you gave that rifle a proper christening. :grin: The deer is terrific but the coyote makes it even better. Hate those things.
Anyhow, the silvertip was evidently a good omen.
Congrats!

Bruce,

Congratulations on your mule deer. The 270 Win 130 gr PT is the "Classic" load.

JD338

Good hunting and good luck with the .270 Win, Bruce. I have been using my Model 70, .130 gr Partitions on deer for 45 years now.

Back