Size your Nosler brass first?

Sako7STW

Beginner
Nov 13, 2012
So I bought 4 boxes of Nosler brass for my .340 Wby Mag. Very nice looking brass, very impressed. I know it says the brass is ready to load. I am just curious though if most of you would run the brass in a sizeing die first or just take their word for it? I was thinking sort by weight and load em up but am nervous to go without sizing.

I would size them before use. I had an issue with virgin Nosler brass loads shooting the same as 2nd fire brass. I noticed the bullet took a little more effort to seat after FL sizing and the group size changed significantly between the 2.

I use Nosler brass in my 340 and have not done any resizing prior to loading. I also have not seen any difference in the group size or point of impact between new and 2-3 times fired brass. If it makes you feel more confident/comfortable go ahead and re-size.

Nosler wby brass is made by Norma which makes the genuine weatherby headstamp. Its some of the best stuff out there to feed your wby.
I can tell you from many years of loading this stuff it DOES NOT need FL sizing.
I usually bump the mouth against an expander ball just in case it got a tiny dent during handling.
When you load it the effort to seat bullets will be extremely consistant...your loaded ammo will be too!

I loaded 280 AI straight from the box. Good stuff.

JD338

I load Nosler brass as is from the box. I've never had a problem with quite a wide variety of cases.

Gotta say I was hesitant too, but loaded up without sizing for my .300 Win and shot the best groups I ever have. To say I was blown away by Nosler brass would be an understatement. Sometimes, time is money. I didn't have to chamfer, debur, or size. Just for kicks, I weighed the cases, which were incredibly close, inspected the primer pockets, which needed no touch up, and inspected the flash holes, all of which were perfect. Also, the chamfer was better and more uniform than anything I've done in awhile. Their tolerance for uniform length was incredible and better than any I'd seen. All the steps I usually take with someone else's brass seem to have been eliminated. I'm sold and will be shooting their brass out of my new build here shortly!
Joe

Well I messed up LOL. I put in my seating die and went to relaod, or so I thought. I was tired or something but all I looked for was the decapping pin and when it wasnt there I thought ok. Well it was the sizeing die. I always throw a case in the press and check alignment before charging the brass and seating. Well I ended up sizeing the brass on accident so I did the remaining 5 brass I had primed for load developement. I had forgot I was reworking some used brass I was having problems with before and had backed the pin out to save my primers. The cases went in and out smooth as butter. I have no doubt they were 100% ready to load. I wont waste my time when I find my load and start mass loading with sizing them.

Even their 2nds have been real nice for me. Don't miss out on Norma either. Their brass has been excellent as well and they are making alot more in alot of regular cartridges nowadays.

I don't resize I just load but I do check all of them and make sure they are round as I've seen one case that wasn't perfect.

I have been loading for over 30 years and I ALWAYS FL SIZE NEW CASES. I want everything to be the same as possible. Many years ago I loaded up some NEW Remington 243 Win cases with my rifles favorite load for ground hogs. Took off hunting. When I got to the field and started to load the rifle I found that to my amazement only one out of 20 rounds would chamber. The necks were too tight and when I seated the bullet it pushed the shoulder out every so slightly but enough to stop the rounds from chambering. To make matters worse I missed a ground hog with the only round that did fit. LOL Lesson learned. FL size ALL new cases especially these days when you can't replace your components with ease.

Yes, FL resize before loading. Aside from the occasional throat that was pushed in a bit, it is really hard to tell if the brass is set right at the shoulders or if the body is too big. FL resize takes care of that.

I had some Nolser 280 Rem brass that looked great, and then I found out at the range some of them wouldn't chamber. Egg on my face, but I got it from then on.

Winchester, Remington, whatever brass you like, the same things can happen if the brass is in a nice hard box or a zip lock bag.

For a hunting rifle, just load them and be happy. For a varmint/target rifle, I believe once-fired brass can produce slightly better accuracy than new-unfired brass. For my Rem 700 223, I loaded the new box of Nosler 223 cases with a moderate load using mil-surplus 55-FMJs without sizing, and used them to plink. Now, they're ready to go with Nosler 50BTs.... :)

It's all about consistency. The equipment used to size factory brass isn't going to perfectly match what my dies will do after sizing them.

Because I want my reload to shoot the same as my first load, I resize them all.

Do you have to? no.

Is sizing it first more consistent with what they will be sized to after you've shot them? Yes.

1Shot":3t8aqmin said:
I have been loading for over 30 years and I ALWAYS FL SIZE NEW CASES.

I've been loading for 40+ years. If we're talking Remington, Winchester, PMC, Federal or Hornady.... yes, brand new cases need to be full-length resized, deburred and trimmed to length to make them more uniform.

The batch of 100 new Nosler 223 cases I bought recently was the very first for me that I didn't FL resize. They were so nice right out of the box - clean, shiny and no deformed case mouths. My primer pocket uniformer showed that the primer pockets were perfect. Bullet seating effort in all 100 was perfect. The rifle functioned flawlessly with all 100. So... At least in my limited experience with these cases, Nosler has produced a product that does what the advertising says... "ready to load". BT

When ammo is made at the factory what brand of dies do you think they use to FL size the case first?
Aaaaaah......that would be none...they don't.
Yet many brands of factory ammo shoot great.
If FL sizing makes people feel good its certainly their business.
I'm just going to continue to m-die or bump the case mouth/inner neck....and pay more attention after its formed to my chamber after firing....something a die can't do.

Back