Small Base Dies

Redneck Ron

Beginner
Sep 30, 2004
Hey everyone, I am having a devil of time reloading 300WSM due to the brass not fitting correctly in the chamber whcih is not allowing the bolt to close or close extrmemly tightly. I have narrowed it down to the full length resizing of the brass (RCBS dies). I haven't never used small base dies and it also my understanding that they have tighter tolerances. I am hoping this will solve my problem and I have been reloading for about 18 years.

The rifle I am using is a Stainless Steel model 70 Ultimate Stalker. Store bottom ammo has no problem loading into the rifle.

Are my toughts right?

Redneck Ron

I had the same problem. My remedy was to slowly adjust (screw) the sizing die down then size a cartridge until the bolt would operate like it should. Also, make sure your seating die is set properly as this could distort your brass as well. Lastly, check your expander for size. My first set of dies (Lee), the expander was too small, something like .272 when it should be something like .275 or .276.
Oh, I have a 270WSM, so we are working with the same brass. The WSMs aren't small base brass that I know of.
I hope this works for you as it did for me.

Small base dies are used for semi and pump style rifles and Midway USA has small base dies from RCBS for 300WSM...Number 412105 for 27.99. I don't feel like I should have to resize rounds a couple of time to get them to work.

I did adjust my resizing die down past were with the base comes into contact with the full length resizing die. But still sometimes it took couple times to resize the round... I have never ran into such a finkie round....

I didn't mean resize all your brass multiple times, just use one and screw your die down some more, testing it in your rifle as you go. I initially adjusted mine the same way, per the instructions but it required to be lowered a little more. The shoulder wasn't getting pushed back enough in my particular case. Good luck.

I had to resize my brass multiple times to get them to work and then thought I had everything covered and some still popped their ugly head up... I turned my resizing die 2 complete turns to get that shoulder to work. These are some pain the tail rounds to load... I agree it is a shoulder problem....

You need to adjust your sizer die down until the brass chambers smooth.......around a 1/4 turn.

Check the sizing without the expander ball in the die. The expander ball can move the shoulder forward.Rick.

rick smith":18zeafrl said:
Check the sizing without the expander ball in the die. The expander ball can move the shoulder forward.Rick.

+1

JD338

I had a similar problem with one of the early Ruger 77's in 6mm Rem. The chamber is a little short so that even with the FL die touching the shellholder the fired cases were too long to chamber. If this is the problem, you can either turn a little off the bottom of the die or the top of the shellholder. I cut down the shellholder just enough that the sized cases will chamber.

after your sizing die touches the shell holder turn it additional 1/8 to 1/4 turn down to set the shoulder back a tad on the case.........this will cure the chambering problem.

your problems may not only be in the dies. a shooting buddy of mine had a similar but more pronounced problem out of a super short mag, and it turned out that the brass was extremely stout. after checking around, that was found to be pretty common. maybe this will help, maybe not. at any rate, good luck.

Back