Smokeless ML barrel for Encore?

richcale

Beginner
Dec 6, 2004
Has anyone heard of this? I've heard rumors but haven't seen any. I'm going to buy a new ML and can't decide between a Savage and an Encore. The availability of a smokeless barrel would decide it!

Thanks,
Rich

Just rumors at this point.

FWIW the savage is a heck of ML if your wanting to use smokeless. I have played with them a fair bit, you won't be dissappointed.

I really like the encore as well though...just at this point smokeless is not an option in the 209x50.

While I know the Encores are extremely popular, I'm not fond any rifle that "break in the middle". Not only canl you run into accuracy issues when the fit loosens up, but they also beat your scope to death each time you slap it open and slam it shut.

If you want to go smokeless, the Savage is the only way to go IMO. With six years of success under it's belt, you can't hardly go wrong.

I picked up a savage this spring and have to agree with the above post...in a nutshell 10II is a sweet shooter. I have tried 3 powders in it and all produced loads shooting 1" or better with nothing done in mods. Haven't settled on a load for the fall but have 2 loads with 250gr sst that are standing out at this point - both are producing 2350 fps with repeatable performance on the range and very easy on the shoulder.

I have encores that have thousands of rounds thru them, mine are still accurate, don't remember ruining one scope.

richcale":166pobnk said:
Has anyone heard of this? I've heard rumors but haven't seen any. I'm going to buy a new ML and can't decide between a Savage and an Encore. The availability of a smokeless barrel would decide it!

Thanks,
Rich

Just contact SMI inc for a Smokeless Encore barrel...(or for that matter custom conversions with the Savage as well)... :wink:

JRH

I to have shot many, many, many rounds through break open guns. Everything from Encores to Handi-Rifles to Savage/Stevens shotguns.

No accuracy problems at all. If my Leupold 2X can handle the recoil of my .480Ruger, I'm sure it can handle me opening the action to throw another round in. :wink:

Where can I find ifo on SMI Inc? I tried a web search and came up with many SMI companies but apparently not one that sells Encore barrels.

Back