So I lied...

barthowes

Beginner
Feb 20, 2010
After many hours of pondering I changed my mind from building a 35 whelen to a 358 winchester.. Starting look in my gun cabinets and noticed I don't own one short action. Being my longest shot to date was just over 100yrds I figured the 358 would be perfect.I just purchased a savage 116 in 300 savage now I just have to put a Shaw barrel on it. I e-mailed them to see if they still offfer the kit with go/no guages and wrench. Figured being it was only a hunting rifle for moose and deer here in VT this should be sufficient :wink:
savagej.jpg

Sounds pretty cool, though I'm not too sure I'd sacrifice a .300 Savage. a .358 is nearly as cool as a Whelen... :)

(BTW, your pic didn't show)

We will forgive you.................but you have to post pictures. :mrgreen:

JD338

I do like my .358 Winchester. I've had two, and my present Ruger shoots very well indeed. It works just fine for deer, black bear, grizzly, moose, elk and bison in my experience.

To take a Savage 300 Savage rifle and turn it into a Winchester would be be an unforgivable scandalous sin! :grin: I think the 300 Savage is a neat little cartridge. Good luck with whatever you savages decide to do!

David

unfortunately it was the cheapest 116 I could find. But don't worry, I'm gonna hold on to the barrel for the future. :wink:

There you go. That's one good thing about Savages... rebarrels are nearly a no-brainer.

Sounds like a heck of a plan there.

Are you selling the 300 savage barrel?

Nice, I almost did the same thing but only it would have been a 35 Whelen. The great thing about the Savage is you can easily change it back to 300 Savage whenever you want. Midwayusa offers the kit's you are looking for although they are out of stock at the moment. This one is a small shank, not sure what you have in your new gun it may be the bigger shank.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343533 ... less-steel

I don't think you will be disapointed with the 358 Win at all. They are some great performers and the Savage should really allow you to maximize it.

well, I just talked with E R Shaw and they have a 4 month wait on barrels. OUCH! I didn't expect that. I figured maybe a month, but thats what i get for assuming. Midway says they'l have them in stock around mid August, so I'll just wait for them. Out of curiosity those here who have ordered from McGowen, how long is their wait time usually. I have talked to them quite a few times about prices and options but lead time somehow was never considered

No idea on McGowen's but it seems like most of the barrel company's are between 4-8 months right now! I guess it gives me a little time to save the pennies!

Good luck with your build though.

thanks I'll make sure to make a nice slide show of pix as I'm going thru the build. Nice to hear that kind of time table isn't abnormal. now i see why it takes shaw 14 months to build a gun.LOL ...

A three to six month wait is really not out of line with the current demand for premium barrels.

Back