So what are you using this year???

rjm158":3m49e4gs said:
They have reduced the number of tags available for the fall season in Missouri but I had already decided to make this a .35 caliber year. I plan to use my two Whelens (Remington 700 and 7600)and my Browning BLR .358 WInchester as my primary rifles.

The Whelens will likely be loaded with 225 AB's and the .358 with 225 Sierras, only because the 200 AB's seem to be extremely scarce.

Ron

Couple of cool cartridges that'll get 'er done. I like both of them.

Antelope, mule deer and elk. Probably use my 260 for all, loaded with 140 amax. Although I'm working a load using the 140 Berger hunting vld that is showing some promise. Might use the 300 H&H for elk but we'll see.

Uh let's see here,

Colorado Elk- 300 RUM 200 AB 3,100 fps :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Deer- 30-06 165 BT 2830 fps & Whelen 225 Partition or AB

Don

Hmmm....

Caribou- Nosler .300WSM with 180ABs
Moose-....ditto
Black Bear-....ditto
Grizzly-....ditto
Goat-.....ditto again
Sheep-....ditto
Blacktails-...and ditto one more time.

My wife will be using our new X-bolt in .270WIN with 130gr Trophy Bonded Tips for caribou
The boy will be using his Savage 7-08 with Federal Fusion 140s for caribou and an outside chance at a moose

After a long winter of messing with all my rifles and getting everything dialed in, the great state of Oregon thought it would be funny to give me my second choice elk tag.... a muzzle loader, cow only hunt :x

I'm really hoping to get the opportunity to tag along on a few damage elk hunts again. If so, I will be taking the 338 RUM (previously the 338-375R). I will either be shooting the 225 AB doing 3175 fps, or the 250 VLD doing 2935 fps.

I did manage to draw my Idaho buck tag again. So I'll be taking the 338 RUM as it doesn't have any blood on it yet. The 280 AI will also make the trip pushing the 150 ABLR @ 3060 fps.

If harvest goes well, I might try to sneak away for a fall bear around the first of September. That will either be the 338 RUM, 375R pushing the 260 AB at 2735 fps, and the 1895 45-70, just incase I have to go back into the brush after one again.

Best of luck to everyone this fall!

700 Classic in .264 for deer(will be the first time I've killed a deer with something other than a .280 since 1991, my first deer)

If I draw a NE elk tag, the old trusty .280 will get the nod

.280 Remington":2udyne26 said:
700 Classic in .264 for deer(will be the first time I've killed a deer with something other than a .280 since 1991, my first deer)

If I draw a NE elk tag, the old trusty .280 will get the nod

Either will serve you well. Great choices.

If I can hunt this year, I will use the .257 Roberts for N.W. Whitetail deer. I am with DrMike on this one.

Hmmm...Let's see...

Gotta get that 250 AI out for antelope, with 110 gr AB's,
Elk and Mountain Goat with my Hoyt Dorado recurve and Easton arrows armed with Muzzy Phantoms,
(Back up rifle for bowhunting is BLR 358 Win w/ 225 gr TSX's)
Deer and caribou with the 280 Rem, and the 150 gr LRAB
Perhaps a bison with the 416 Taylor and 350 gr A-Frames

Wife will be hunting with her 7mm-08 and 140 gr Sierra GameKings
Daughter will be hunting with her 270 Win and 140 gr AB's

If I can get a load worked up in time I'll use my 6.5x284 on coues deer this year. If not I'll use my .338 Win Mag.
For bear and mountain lion I'll likely use the .338 Win Mag. I need to blood both rifles and plan to take the .338 to Newfoundland next year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

After shooting my muzzleloader Sunday, I'm taking my smoke pole and the 280 Rem barrel for my encore pro hunter to Montana and the 444. I'd love to get a Black Bear with my smoke pole!

For deer i'll use my Rem 700 CDL 25.06 with a 117gr Sierra PH. My daughter will use her Rem 7 CDL .260 with the Sierra 120gr PH. Both have worked extremely well for us.

If I can find a loaf I'll use my 6.5x284. If not I'll use my .338 Win Mag. Just hunting coues deer this year.

image.jpgI'm still not sure which one I'm using this year. Both the second & third from the right will be ready to go.

Whitetails only this year with a good chance a hog or 2 will wander by.
For my long shots on the powerline my old M700 BDL LH in 7mm mag. will be up to bat. It will be the first season since '97 where it will be a main gun. So, it's been getting a lot of work both on the rifle and the loads. IMR 4350 and 150 gr. Ballistic Silvertips. Wearing an old proven Leupold 3.5 X 10.
For the close work down in the woods, which is also the majority of my WT hunting it will again be my Tikka T3 lite in .308 Winchester with 150 gr. Hornady Interbonds. Topped off with a Conquest 3X9.
Occasionally if I can manuever the right circumstances I'll trot out my .54 Lancaster flintlock. With the old iron sights I basically want long bow shot distance. I've learned not every stand offers high odds of a good hit.
And maybe the old Ruger .44 auto carbine. I've loaded some 240 gr. Speer gold dot's and WW296. I've also put my Aimpoint 9000SC Camo back on it and it's just waiting to be sighted in. Here's another old one that doesn't see much action anymore. But it's a good one for blood trailing in thick woods.
I think I'll stick with these for the upcoming season.

Since I've found a load I'll be using my 6.5x284 on coues deer this year with a 130gr Barnes TSX FB bullet. That'll get me out to 600 yards of I'm capable. If not, I'll have to find a shot I know I can make and I won't know that until the situation presents itself. Wind, how I feel, heart rate, terrain, angle of the shot, and shooting position will all play a factor in determining if I shoot or pass.

I need to kill a Northwestern Whitetail for my Slam continuation. All the years that I have lived in the NW, I have never hunted whitetail here. The .257 Roberts would be the rifle for that. Although, I would like to kill something with the Sako .338 Federal and surely the .338 Federal should handle that task with no issues.

Back