So what are you using this year???

Well for spring bear I took the 338-06AI and successfully blooded her with a 225 PT. The 7X57 went too.

For pronghorn in late Aug-Sep the 7X57 6.5X55 280 or 280AI will get the nod.

For Bull elk in mid-Nov the 9.3X62 with a 250AB or 286PT will go with the 338 playing second fiddle.

For cow elk from late Nov-Jan 15th it will be the opposite of bull.

I can't wait.

Remington model 700 limited edition 300 Win Mag that I recently purchased hopefully shooting the 180 gr grand slam, and my 1895 marlin 45-70 with the 300 gr tsx

Sako 85 in 6.5 Swede...just bought a couple boxes of HMS Berger VLD 140 Gr...gonna hit the range today to check them out...if they don't work out, will use Nosler 140 Gr ABs...

Weatherby 270 with 140 Gr ABs...

Cheers/bg

Antelope bow or 6.5x284 or 25-06
Deer Wyoming bow or 6.5x 284 or 7mm WSM
Elk bow or 338WM or 300WM
Cow Bison 338RUM or 338WM
Wis deer 308 or 7mm WSM

Deer and hogs I'll use the Model 70 280 pushing 140 gr Accubonds or 139 gr Interlocks.
There's a chance I might dust off dad's old 243 sometime this fall but it needs a load worked up for it.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

M7025-06":2p0mncqy said:
Deer and hogs I'll use the Model 70 280 pushing 140 gr Accubonds or 139 gr Interlocks.

Is your rifle one of the CRF or PF? I've had two Model 70 .280s--each was a Featherweight, one a push feed and the current one is a CRF model. Each shot more than acceptably, and each accounted for lots of game. Both shot best with 139/140 grain bullets. I suppose that I used more Hornady Interlocks than any other particular bullet. They did work well on deer and black bear. Great cartridge and a great rifle.

DrMike":2exlacjj said:
M7025-06":2exlacjj said:

Is your rifle one of the CRF or PF? I've had two Model 70 .280s--each was a Featherweight, one a push feed and the current one is a CRF model. Each shot more than acceptably, and each accounted for lots of game. Both shot best with 139/140 grain bullets. I suppose that I used more Hornady Interlocks than any other particular bullet. They did work well on deer and black bear. Great cartridge and a great rifle.
CRF that started life as a Featherweight BOSS. The action and trigger are the only original components left on her.

I have no experience with the Hornadys yet but the AB's have been deadly.

I worked up a load with 140 grain ABs, but I haven't taken anything with it. I have focused more recently on 140 grain PTs, which work very well. My newer 280 is getting more attention in recent years as it shoots 150 grain ABLRs very well. It has accounted for a fine elk and a good mule deer so far.

I'm starting to get the itch to try some 150's or 160's but I'm not too optimistic on the velocities with a 23" barrel. I'm kind of kicking myself for not going with a 24" or 25" tube.

Elk hunting, 300 RUM 200 AB 3,100 FPS. Pulled a Bull Elk tag for 1st rifle in Colorado.
It looks like I will be purchasing a new Vortex HSLR or HS-T scope in the 4 x 16 x 44 or 50 in the next week to top off this rig. Very anxious for this. 8)

30-06 180 BT for Deer
35 Whelen 225 PT for Deer

Don

TC Encore ML .50cal in GMU 103 for deer in CO
M48 Patriot in 26 Nosler with 129 ABLR-2nd Rifle for a bull elk in GMU 76 in CO
Weatherby Accuguard-257 Bee with 110 AB for whitetails in MInnesota and Wisconsin.
And I may buy an OTC black bear tag in MN and use a 300 H&H Remington 700 with 165 PT.

I see this thread is in its 2nd year.

Looks like for me this year it will just be doves, ducks, deer and hogs.
(Maybe beavers - My friend listed me as a shooter on his farm "nuisance" permit.)
When hunting deer camp away from home, I've always packed 2 rifles.
Figure I'll take a 270W as either the main or the back up rifle.

Haven't decided on the second rifle.
But, I'm thinking this year I may take the 458.
I've never taken it on a deer and hog hunt.
Guys at the camp haven't seen it.
Could be fun to see some of them shoot it once.

Besides, I don't get enough field time with this rifle.
I'd love to get the opportunity to find out how many hogs it takes to stop a bullet. :mrgreen:

RaySendero":2eb2xmcj said:
I see this thread is in its 2nd year.

I'm thinking this year I may take the 458.
I've never taken it on a deer and hog hunt.
Guys at the camp haven't seen it.
Could be fun to see some of them shoot it once.

Besides, I don't get enough field time with this rifle.
I'd love to get the opportunity to find out how many hogs it takes to stop a bullet. :mrgreen:

Some threads take on a life of their own. The information doesn't get old, so...

The .458 may just work for hogs if you can get four of five to line up properly.

Hmm a 458wm now that has got some serious intent when it connects on a animal! There used to be a old German gunsmith here in Regina named Karl Felsing who was out at the range sighting in a customers 458win. He shot it once and the reticle fell off the glass and he took 12 stitches from the scope-bite. I could not understand all that he said after but I knew it was not good :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

458-Reolads_071215.jpg

That should do the trick! I don't enjoy shooting these from the bench, but they aren't bad off hand. :shock:

No Mike - Off the bench or standing off-hand its a real beast. That's what I meant with my comment: "Could be fun to see some of them shoot it once." Only one person said thx for me letting him shoot it and he didn't ask for a 2nd shot! All others don't what anything to do with that rifle after they shot it. Even the ones in line for a shot decline after they see another shoot it.

Its not a hunting rifle - Its purposely built as an easy carry DG stopper. At less than 8lbs loaded (with iron sights), its a good carry but the recoil is fierce with a significant muzzle jump. I have a PAST recoil shield that I keep with the rifle in the case. I wont get around that rifle w/o it on. Its not that Magnum pad - Its the fitting one and very comfortable to wear. Matter of fact I can wear it under a tee-shirt and you may not even notice it. The shield really works. A friend, my son and I took turns putting it on and we shot about 50 rounds out that rifle one afternoon. Think we were kinda like a bunch of kids with a new toy - We all had fun and we weren't bruised or sore that evening.

Ray,

I've done load development on several occasions for some hard kicking rifles. I can't say that I enjoy it. The fact that the largest cartridge I personally own is a 9.3X64 says something about my joy of being kicked around. I've worked up loads for a few .458 WMs and .460 WBYs. You would be correct in surmising that these had a bit more heft than your rifle. Light rifles shooting large bullets charged with lots of powder is an invitation to a flat out kicking. Still, I have done it. Coming up on 70, I find that I really enjoy smaller cartridges that shoot tight groups. :grin:

Well...I'm still cleaning guns from last years hunting.
Looked up this older thread and figured I'm give an update:

Took the 458 but didn't have opportunity to use it hunting as we were in shooting houses
and the muzzle rise of that rifle was too much for the small windows.
Did get some shooting time with it - I had several load experiments ready for the sight-in range.
Wanted to find a load and a rear sight setting for those 2 pictured above (middle and right)
where they both would shoot to POA at 50 yds:

458M798_092515_2Shots2loads.jpg

That worked out great!
The target above shows 2 shots - one with the 450 Barnes FN solid and one with the 450 Swift-A at 50 yds. CTC is 1/16"!!!

BUT, Also wanted to get that flat lead nose bullet pictured on the left to shoot to that same POA.
Tried 2 COALS (pictured); each with a 3 step ladder. All these were 2 to 3" high and left of the POA. :( :( :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did find a great recoil reducer - An EVO-Shield t-shirt!

It's made from EVO-Shield company. They make all kinds of football pads.
Their pads harden and fit to your body when 1st exposed to air.
That t-shirt is a product they make for hunters. Kinda hard to find on their website. But it sure does work well.

Pad comes in an air tight foil bag. T-shirts are sized to fit tight like a uniform.
It has a pocket for the pad up on your shoulder.
Took the pad out of the bag, put in place, shoulder a rifle every couple of minute for 1/2 hour while pad hardens - Then Wal-la.

Back