SOCOM16 Loads

Koa

Beginner
Jul 3, 2007
I am looking for some good loads for my SOCOM16. It's a .308 with a 16" barrel and 1:11 twist. Anybody have any loads they have worked up, or any advice on what may work best with this short barrel?

Not sure what bullet weight you are considering or what your intended use is but I would think 150 gr -165 gr bullets with IMR4895, RL15, and IMR4064 is where you would want to start.

JD338

I'm kind of in the same boat Koa. I've just started working up a load for my L1A1 in .308. I've started with 150gr AccuBond and WC846. It's an actual .308 Military surplus powder. The Miliray also shoots alot of 4895 (hogdens I think) in the .308. JD probably has the best question, how do you plan to use it?

I would like to work up two different loads; one using a 180gr NP and another as an accuracy load. I'm looking to get 1.5 moa at 100 yards for the hunting load, and moa out to 300 yards for the accuracy load. How will the shorter barrel and the "middle of the road" twist rate affect how a good load for, lets say a Match M1A, performs?

Well, with a 180gr bullets in a short barreled .308, be prepared for some slooooow velocities. Remeber, with every inch of barrel you give up, you also give up 12 to 50 fps. The average over my chronograph has been around 50. Hodgdon's book shows the 180gr bullets traveling at about 2600, but that's with a 26" tube. I would be supprised if your velocities were in the 2350 to 2400 range. Unless you plan on some really close range elk or moose hunting you might want to try something more in the 150gr range. The Proshop has the 155gr Custom Comp seconds in stock. Might be a good bullets to see what your rifle is capable of.
P.S., when you say hunting, what will you be hunting. Is this a "Business" gun?

It will be used for hunting moose and black bear in Maine. Most of my shots I expect to be under 100 yards. I do want to stick with at least a 180gr NP for the hunting load, and I'm open to whatever gives me the best accuracy for the distance load.

For those short ranges, on heavy game like the moose, you will probably be happy with either the Partition or the AccuBond. JD like the Alliance powders with the Partitions. With that short barrel, you may wish to use a faster powder. The faster powder will help minimize the velocity loss.

Interesting thought! I may try loading some loads with the VARGET and see what I can get, than move to a faster powder. I've been overseas for the past couple of months; I'm anxious to get back home and put some of my preponderances to the test. This seems like it might be worth trying out. I guess working with a shorter barrel really can change things......

Yep. Try a ladder of varget. I'd be real interested to hear how that works out for you. And if you're not getting the velocities you want, try something a little more spicy.

Back