Speer Deep Curl

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
What say you about the speer deep curl? I just finished mounting a leupy variX-II on my rem 700 in 30-06. It was my dad's, and the only one that I haven't shot anything with yet. That's sad isn't it? She wants to come out and play too! Anyway I was looking at the 165gr deep curl and IMR 4350 combo. Anyone here used them yet?

I haven't used them as they are not generally available here, but the design is a good one. All the reports of those using the Deep Curl are positive. Were they available locally, I would no doubt be trying them.

I fully intend to try them as soon as they show up on the shelves locally. A local gunshop stocks a lot of Speer bullets, but no Deep Curls as of yet.

Sent an Email to Speer when they dropped the Mag tip. Reply was that the Deep curl is intended to mirror the terminal performance and slick feeding charachteristics of the Mag tip with a higher BC and decreased production cost.

I've used the Mag Tip on WT deer extensively in .260 rem and .308 win (150 grain) and it was a great bullet. The .308 load was scary accurate. Your 165s shouldn't disappoint. Looks like you get to be the guinea pig!

I used them this year in my 270 WSM (150 gr with 2975 mv.) to take a 4pt. mule deer with about 200 lb. body weight. The shot at 140 yds. was quartering away, entered just in front of the right ham and exited mid point of the far ribs. Nickel sized entry hole and 50 cent exit hole. Blood shot was minimal with considerable internal damage. So far accuracy is 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 at 100 yds. Long story short, I like them.

I'm anxiously awaiting their release in this area. I'm a big fan of the Fusion line and the DC's utilize the same bonding process. Speer bullets have always done me good in my rifles and pistols.

CatskillCrawler":25ewcwzx said:
I'm anxiously awaiting their release in this area. I'm a big fan of the Fusion line and the DC's utilize the same bonding process. Speer bullets have always done me good in my rifles and pistols.

Same here. Speers are the only other bullets that compete for my money. They make great bullets at a good price. That Deep Curl looks pretty tough from my tests as well. I'm shooting the 170 DC in the 30-30. Pretty accurate as well. They are adding some good bullets everyday.

Thanks guys. i can't seem to make up my mind if I should go with a 165gr or 180gr bullet in my '06. I have enough whitetail loads. Maybe I'll load the 180gr for bigger stuff.

180 and the 30-06 is about as classic as it gets. It is still probably the best combo for everything out there, hence the reason I don't own a 30-06... Not much to experiment with!

165 grain bullets will do all you ever ask of your 'o6. 180s allow for a sense of comfort when accosting somewhat larger game at closer ranges.

ScreaminEagle":3bxlglpb said:
Thanks guys. i can't seem to make up my mind if I should go with a 165gr or 180gr bullet in my '06. I have enough whitetail loads. Maybe I'll load the 180gr for bigger stuff.

For years I used the 150 gr. bullets, usually Sierras for deer. After all, Jack O'Connor said they were the best for deer in the 30-06 right? A friend of mine needed some ammo so I gave him a few of mine and he hated what they did on a shoulder shot. He said he always used 180 gr. bullet load (factory ammo as he did not reload) so I worked up a load with the 180 gr. Sierra and that old milsurp H4831 and never looked back. I might use the Sierra Pro-hunter for the most part and Nosler partitions for bigger stuff like elk or maybe a Black Bear but I'm thinking 180 gr. all the way.
I got lazy a long time ago. On my serious hunting rifles, I've worked up one serious hunting load and that's all that runs though that rifle. I have other rifles that I'm playing with that I may hunt with but have not yet found what I'm looking for in that particular firearm. Those I may keep or send down the road but the serious rifles, they ain't going anywhere.
Paul B.

I just recently worked up a load with the 120gr DC in my 25.06. The first loads i worked up i tried h4831sc and it printed a couple acceptable groups, one around 1" and one just under 1" but i knew this rifle would do better. The next loads i worked up i used Re22 and things began to look more promising. I ended up with a 4 shot group @ 100yds that measured just over a half inch @.504 than the 5th shot opened it up to .620. I stopped there and haven't been able to get back to the bench. I thought i would juggle primers just to see if it makes a difference but if not im happy with this load. I haven't shot it through the chrony but this group was with 54grs which is max according to speer and should be around 3000fps. I look forward to shooting a deer with this combo. Mike

I think you've found yourself one awesome 25-06 load there. I can't wait to get my hands on these bullets. I have all sorts of ideas.

Guybo,
I would hate to be the first nice buck you see with that rifle .......................OUCH.
I always hate it when people start talking about a 25/06 ! Ever since I saw a friend shoot a coyote with one day in Montana, at over 400 yds . I start drooling like a Lab watching someone eat a dounut, when I get to close to a 25/06!
I have a 243 and a 270, so it is silly to buy one, but I still get shakey when I look at a Kimber in 25/06!
Good Luck with the load

35 Whelen":algkw6x5 said:
Guybo,
I would hate to be the first nice buck you see with that rifle .......................OUCH.
I always hate it when people start talking about a 25/06 ! Ever since I saw a friend shoot a coyote with one day in Montana, at over 400 yds . I start drooling like a Lab watching someone eat a dounut, when I get to close to a 25/06!
I have a 243 and a 270, so it is silly to buy one, but I still get shakey when I look at a Kimber in 25/06!
Good Luck with the load

There is only one good way to scratch that itch buddy!

CatskillCrawler":1im6bklb said:
I think you've found yourself one awesome 25-06 load there. I can't wait to get my hands on these bullets. I have all sorts of ideas.

If your interested according to the Midsouth shooters supply website they still have some of these bullets in stock but their page says low stock. Mike

used the grand slams w/ great success in my .270 and .338. let us know how they do.

Back