Speer Deepcurls

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
HSM has a 7mm wsm 160 grain load with Speer Deepcurls. Anyone have experience with these bullets?

An excellent bullet that will work quite well on most any game. The Deep Curl is a Speer premium bullet.

I stand corrected. In my state of insomnia last night I asked about the wrong bullet. They offer a 160 grn Speer Grand Slam load. Thoughts?

The Grand Slam is another fine bullet. I've used the Grand Slam for many years. It performs quite well.

I've decided to use the 145 grain grand slam in my 280 this fall. I don't have much experience with it as it is my first year trying the Grand Slam but I have found the accuracy to be fine and from the tests I've done it seems like it will be a durable bullet. I too would like to hear other people's experiences with these bullets.

They are on par with the Hornady Spirepoint IMO they used to be tougher when they were a dual core bullet but still are a good choice for most hunting.

I shot some Black bears with the 250 gr Gran Slams in my 338 Win mag and they died FAST ! The recovered bullets expanded to a big diameter but did not lose much weight ! I don't think they penetrate as deep as a Partition but expand to a bigger diameter in my experience . :)

Cheers RJ

Rem Jim":1ew6dqta said:
I shot some Black bears with the 250 gr Gran Slams in my 338 Win mag and they died FAST ! The recovered bullets expanded to a big diameter but did not lose much weight ! I don't think they penetrate as deep as a Partition but expand to a bigger diameter in my experience . :)

Cheers RJ

+1 with 7RM and 300WSM loads.

Would this give good performance on hogs? How do they compare to AB's?

The 160 grain Deep Curl launched from a 7WSM will work just fine on a hog. Do your part, and the bullet will bring home the bacon. Use the Deep Curl and go slam ham.

I'd use either one against hogs, elk, deer, bear etc.. I kinda like the new Deep Curls a bunch, but the old Speer GS's were pretty danged good bullets.

Don't overlook the Winchester Supreme line of ammo with the 160 AB AJ. I am not sure what Federal loads for the 7 either. The 140 Supreme stuff outta my 270WSM is dynamite. Around 3200 or better and as accurate as any of my handloads.

Back