spike elk pic

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I shot this spike bull 2nd general season. I was hunting mt emily, tollgate. very steep country. Rewarding though when you hunt hard for the whole season, you might get 1 shot. Range was a short 250 yards. I used my 300 RUM and the 200g AB. A broadside shot, I put the 200g in his shoulder and he dropped immediately. The bullet exited the offside shoulder and left a nice exit hole taking the liver out with it.

nwn8r5.jpg

Looks like some great eating there!!! I did not score this last fall and my grocery bill sure shows it!! congrats!

Congratulations!! What's more exciting than killing a bull elk?

Good work!!

Lee Carkenord

Thanks guys!! To tell ya the truth, theres not much more exciting than shooting a bull elk. Its a rush, thats for sure. Elk hunting is very hard, especially when your in the canyons for a week. I have never got more then 1 chance during the season. I have been fortunate enough to capitalize on both. There are hunters in my camp that have shot at 2-3 spikes during the season. I'm lucky to see a spike in the season. I just dont get it. It's all about the timing I guess. Thats why I like to be prepared for a shot out to 800 yards. If mr elk decides to come out of the timber across the canyon at 700-800 yards, he thinks hes safe. Not with me on the other side with my 300 RUM, MK4 Leupold scope, Nikon 800 rangefinder, and drop chart converted to clicks. Get the range, dial up clicks, hold dead on, shoot, watch elk roll down the canyon. If only I got to see a spike every year!! On a sidenote, there have been a couple times I was just to wore out to go on a morning hunt. That was usually the day they got into all the elk. Since then I have learned you gotta go out every day. Just never know when them elk are gonna step out. Like I said, I"ve got to shoot at 2 differnt spikes in 7 years of going after them. Not very good odds, but I sure like to capitalize and the farther I can extend my shooting, the better odds I have when that elk decides to step out of the timber whether it be 300 yards, 600 or 800 yards. Im ready for him.

I've always said, "plan for the worst and hope for the best".

Good job on the elk.

Regards,

JD338

Back