Spring Bear

Nicely done! My hunt yesterday wasn't as successful but really rewarding. I ran across another bobcat, saw several deer and elk, including 14 bulls on the same hillside at last light within 250 yards of me. I saw one truck with two people across a large valley from me once. Never saw another vehicle or person the rest of the day.

Then I almost stepped on this little guy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 736
hunternyny":tu5xxixd said:
Question ---is Gil, Hodgeman, and Cheyenne the only ones on the forum who can hunt bears and other animals for substance ? And do you three have to even have a license ? a tag ?

Best of luck on your bear hunts, Lefty, Dr Mike, Hodgeman, Gerry---I am envious

I missed seeing this earlier, in B.C. any hunter is allowed 2 black bears per year with an over the counter tag.

Didn't even blink. Just to be sure it wasn't dead I watched it for a minute and I could see that it was breathing. One very cool customer.....

lefty315":33zop1ws said:
Didn't even blink. Just to be sure it wasn't dead I watched it for a minute and I could see that it was breathing. One very cool customer.....

Mama (and mother nature) has taught him well. (y)

We went out again yesterday and saw 5 bears including 2 nice boars, a whole bunch of goats and a cow moose. My friend and his daughter, my wife and cousin's boy and myself went out and tried to get my friends daughter her first animal. We couldn't seal the deal on either of the two boars this time which is how hunting goes of course a lot of the time. Had a great time in beautiful country.

My friends daughter carried his 300 Win Mag with some reduced handloads I made for him featuring the 180 gr Hornady BTSP at 30-06 speed. My young relative really liked the looks of the goats we saw yesterday so we applied last night for one of the zones which has good access and good odds. We have a good chance at drawing that permit.

Here's pulling for success in the draw for goat, Gerry. Always good to be out in God's creation, that's for sure.

Gerry it sound like a real good time was had (y).
I am sure you must have a photo or two that you could post for a old flatlander that enjoys those mountain hunts :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

It was blistering hot today (for this area anyway) but I was able to fill my tag on a boar around 5 - 5 1/2' or so. Wanted a bear for the freezer and managed to find this guy in a shady area. Used my 270 Win this time after giving the 35 Whelen/200 gr TTSX combo a good work out and the 160 gr Partition dropped him on the spot at 90 yards. He was laying like this, only moved his head and a front paw for the photo :lol:

Nicely done! I've been getting out every evening for the last few days. No bears but an absolute infestation of elk and deer.

Oh, and I am packing the .35 Whelen loaded with 250 grain Partitions :mrgreen:

lefty315":3jzchmdd said:
Nicely done! I've been getting out every evening for the last few days. No bears but an absolute infestation of elk and deer.

Oh, and I am packing the .35 Whelen loaded with 250 grain Partitions :mrgreen:

Thanks. Hope you connect soon, your Whelen load will hammer them down nicely 8)

Excellent bear, Gerry. You did well. I have seen numerous sows and cubs. There is a good population around here; now, to get out and thin it somewhat.

Gerry, that is a great looking young boar :wink:. I am sure that will put a couple of pounds of meat in your freezer (y).
So who was all out for your hunt?
Thank you gerry for all the photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Back