Spring Grizzly

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
With all the talk of bear hunting and bear rifles lately I thought I would share this.

My buddies wife finally scored on a griz. After several failed trips she finally connected last weekend on this nice 7' interior griz. She was hunting off snowmachines on the yetna river with her dad. This is her 6th year trying for a spring griz. They found this guy sunning himself up on a hillside.

Shooting a remington 700 stainless in 30/06 with federal premium load with 180gr Nosler Partition. First shot broke the spine behind the front shoulder and a second one finished it off.

couple of other pictures of her hunt. For those of you who ever get a chance to do a spring snowmachine brown bear hunt it is some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever find. Weather can often be very nice but can turn in an instant.

OUTSTANDING! She did real well. Any idea how far the first shot was?

Thanks for sharing those terrific hunting photos!

Guy

When I asked her she gave me a "from here to that pole" explanation, but I'd guess it was from 150-180 yards considering what pole she was referring to. :)

We have been teasing her as " bear repellent" because she has pulled a goose egg so many years in a row. For years she has been borrowing my 30/06, but this year she got a stainless remington SPS and leupold 3-9x40 Vx2 for her birthday. I cut the stock down for her and put a new pad on it just before she went out. I

She did very well. If we connected with a griz on each trip, it wouldn't be an adventure. The persistence makes her success all the sweeter. That is a respectable interior bear, and it has great colour.

Beautiful spring bear, congratulations to you both. My wife and I were both surprised at the amount of snow still on the ground.

That is awesome, congrats to her. That bear has great color, very nice. All the talk on internet forums seems to alway lead to controlled feed rifles chambered in huge rounds epecially from guys who have never even seen a grizzly :) Who knew a Rem 700 30-06 would work :lol: It is always neat to see what resident hunters use when going after grizz. Beautiful country you live in.

What a priviledge to hunt in such a beautiful place even if there is too much Snow :) Is it common for a Grizz to have that much contrast in color in his pelt? Will make a beautiful rug! Kudos for the persistience and a good shot with the "plain old" (read heavy sarcasm) 30-06. CL

Very Very Nice! Just a plain old 30 ought..... huh who would have thought?? It is one of my all time favorite chamberings :grin:

Spectacular ! :eek: Awesome - Good on her - congrats on a Beauty Bear :grin: Very nice country and looks like a great trip - hunt too ! :grin: RJ

Congratulations on a beautiful bear.
Beautiful country too.

JD338

cloverleaf":okngwq94 said:
Is it common for a Grizz to have that much contrast in color in his pelt? Will make a beautiful rug! CL

Yes, it is very common in the interior bears. It's the coastal bears that are generally more of a uniform chocolate brown color.

Fantastic pictures, and good job helping to keep her after it until she achieved success. Thanks for posting!

Congrats on an awesome bear! That is beautiful! Great shooting on the ladie's part. Don't get much better than that! Way to go.

She got her rug back today. Very happy lady!
re6apema.jpg

Back