Spring Turkey Call Orders

Howie,

Have you considered making a copper and slate call?

JD338

Howie,

Have you considered making a copper and slate call?

JD338
you mean a double sided call with a full size copper on top and a smaller slate on the bottom? If so, yes I have one in my personal stash. The copper is just as loud and raspy as any of the other copper calls, but the small slate on the bottom makes some pretty sexy purrs and clucks. Problem is I like a 3" call for copper and that makes the bottom slate pretty small, so I had to step it up to 3.5", and it's a little difficult to master a 3.5" copper call. But with time it can be accomplished.

Last edited:
you mean a double sided call with a full size copper on top and a smaller slate on the bottom? If so, yes I have one in my personal stash. The copper is just as loud and raspy as any of the other copper calls, but the small slate on the bottom makes some pretty sexy purrs and clucks. Problem is I like a 3" call for copper and that makes the bottom slate pretty small, so I had to step it up to 3.5", and it's a little difficult to master a 3.5" copper call. But with time it can be accomplished.
Yes, precisely what I was referring to.

JD338

Out of curiosity, is there still any interest in traditional box calls? Over the last year I've been messing around tweaking a design for one. Contrary to what you might think, they are every bit as sensitive to changes as pot calls. As of now what I have that's working is one with a walnut lid and base with cottonwood sides. Anyway, just wondering if there is as much demand for box calls as there was before pot calls took over the turkey woods.
I think I might be up for one. Keep us up to speed on what you've got.

Out of curiosity, is there still any interest in traditional box calls? Over the last year I've been messing around tweaking a design for one. Contrary to what you might think, they are every bit as sensitive to changes as pot calls. As of now what I have that's working is one with a walnut lid and base with cottonwood sides. Anyway, just wondering if there is as much demand for box calls as there was before pot calls took over the turkey woods.
I like box calls in the fall, but anything will work then, In the spring I like a pot call, because they respond better to them in my experience

Back