Strange find in 7600 Rem!

I could see selling it if you don't plan on using it or gifting to a relative. Use the money for something that you have a hankering for. Your call. Dan.

ShadeTree I have a standing offer of $ 2000 for the rifle!!!
Same fella will pay $1000 for my old 742 Carbine with no blueing left on the bottom of the frame! So it's very tempting for sure. $3000 is a crazy price for those guns imho.
E

Yeah that's real high here. They've gotten ridiculous but that rifle here because of it's early yr and its condition would be $1300-$1350, and it might sit a bit at that, but it would sell.

I have a 7600 in 30-06 & one in a 243. The 243 has the factory engraving. If I was pricing them at current pricing, it would be $1000 for the -06 and probably $1300 for the 243.

There is a total phenomenon here in the Northeast, fueled by the videos of a group of folks that are die hard trackers. They have a large following of " wanta be" groupie sorta hunters that seam to mimic their "heros" every move. To include the clothes they wear, boots they prefer, cartridges they shoot, sandwiches they eat, and the theme in the videos that is repeated over and over is always about " miles they are from the truck"........
Of course the gun that they carry is the cornerstone of their success, and a couple of the more noted heros have carried 760/742 Remington's for years.
Because of the nature of the 742's jaming as gas port or chamber gets dirty, combined with worn rails internally the crowd settled on the 760/7600 guns as their standard. So naturally the up and coming " trackers" ALL want a gun like their heros, So hence this present market of up and coming hunters that are willing to pay outrageous prices to get a gun like they see in the videos. I have no doubt the 760/7600 especially a carbine will fetch nearly 50% more in New England right now than it would out west......
Are they worth it? NO. Are they bringing it YUP. So much like the $2 good old 2x4" bring $8 a short while ago, eggs selling for $6 a dozen. It's all part of the demand, and regardless of what make, caliber, or configuration, a brand new , unfired rifle has a totally different desire to most folks and would always fetch a heavy premium especially when your referencing stuff 30/40 years old. That combined with the simple fact, finding unfired guns to use for a reference point is nearly impossible information to use for a price point..........
Least that's how this cowboy sees it!
E

The legendary Larry Benoit and his family wore the Green Plaid wool and carried 760' s chambered in 30-06. They tracked and killed big bucks every year through Maine's rugged country. They swore by the 760 although they used the 760 carbine. I'm sure there is a good following which would drive up the value.

JD338

Ahlman's, a gun shop in Minnesota, would take worn 740 and 742s and convert them to slide actions. I'm not sure if they still do or if that market has dried up.

would you guys have an idea what a 760 chambered in 222 would be worth ?

Jim in my opinion a retail shop that knew what it was doing in regards to those rifles would currently price that in the $1800- $2000 range. if it's really nice, maybe more like $2200- $2500. For whatever reason they don't tend to bring more than a Roberts in equal shape even though they were made less yrs. At something like an auction, who knows?

Right now something like a 308 Carbine will command higher prices and even a 30-06 Carbine will run with a 222 on price and have more interest.........not sure why, certainly not because there's less of them than the 222. Regardless, it's a valuable 760 no doubt.

This one sold last night on GB for $1450 plus 3% CC fee and $65 shipping so the buyer has $1550!!!! Scope is pretty much worthless, and of course he will add Skinner sight and fiber front. So he will spoil $1700 before he gets saddled up.Screenshot_20230227-083416.png

It's a pretty localized fad at the moment, there are a lot more buyers than there are good guns for sale. The fact they are much less out west, confirms this. However now that folks are aware of crazy prices. Guys that had no intention of selling, are now offering them a ridiculous prices; and the buyers are PAYING it. The exact same thing is going on with 1895 Marlins, the same guns that were $600 a couple years ago are going for double and more! Not sure what is fueling that fad???
Go figure
E

would you guys have an idea what a 760 chambered in 222 would be worth ?
Probably not much Jim. I'll send you my FFL so you don't have to darken your safe with it:cool:

What a nice rifle E. I have a couple of them 7600's(35 Whelen, 35 Whelen Carbine and a 280 Rem) and a 760 in 270. While I love them and hunting with them the huge prices they demand are crazy. Yours is beyond nice though.

WOW that brings back memories. Grew up in northern Minnesota back in the 60s - 70s. First time I could leave the farm yard and go with my grandpa hunting was in '72. He still carried a Sav 99 but my uncles and cousins all carried the Rem pump and autos - 30-06 of course. I think one uncle had a 280 Rem in an auto. It was pretty fancy stock and scroll if I remember right. My dad sold his '06 Auto and picked up a 700 in 264 win mag in '69. He was the only bolt gun on the farm for years. Probably late '70s before an uncle switched to a bolt in a 243W.
I can't believe the $$ for these guns today. WOW

WOW that brings back memories. Grew up in northern Minnesota back in the 60s - 70s. First time I could leave the farm yard and go with my grandpa hunting was in '72. He still carried a Sav 99 but my uncles and cousins all carried the Rem pump and autos - 30-06 of course. I think one uncle had a 280 Rem in an auto. It was pretty fancy stock and scroll if I remember right. My dad sold his '06 Auto and picked up a 700 in 264 win mag in '69. He was the only bolt gun on the farm for years. Probably late '70s before an uncle switched to a bolt in a 243W.
I can't believe the $$ for these guns today. WOW
They are crazy priced for what they are. I do love them and man, the 7600/760's are excellent shooters, but 1500 rifles they are not!

Wow what a find. I had a 760 back in 1976 IIRC chambered in 6MM REM bought it new. I still kick myself for letting that one go.

Here's a 308 carbine that sold for over $3000.

A 30-06 carbine that sold for over $2500.

These are high, they don't all bring that, but still.

Somebody got a real hosing on this one unless they just really wanted a short barrel 30-06. This is NOT a factory carbine. The barrel has been cut, and the stock has been cut with a recoil pad added. $1400. The recoil pad anybody can see, the carbine part they got duped. It's never claimed that it's a carbine, but neither is it stated that it's not, and that the barrel was cut.

Back