Strange find in 7600 Rem!

That 308 Carbine is really nice but not at that price. Too rich for my blood.

JD338

It is kinda interesting; the uninformed public, is so totally fascinated by someone else's personal idea: That a gun with 3.5" shorter barrel, is the only right choice? That it will command such a huge premium??? Since collector value, is of almost no concern to these "tracker decipels". Paying $5-800 extra to get a factory Carbine in this model to look like their hero, cracks me up. Lol. We have lopped of lots of 742/760 barrels, for the tracker crowd around here, that claim to hunt in stuff so thick, they claim they often have trouble raising even the 18.5" barrel up thru the branches, let alone a 22"....... Of course it is sorta ridiculous, but they paid us for cutting down, and left happy as a clam! It's a bubble that will burst, and the guns will seak out their true market values. In the mean time stay tuned for a minty 35 Whelen carbine bring $3500 ............. It's certainly in the cards ( Visa card that is)

Last edited:
It is kinda interesting the uninformed public is so totally fascinated by someone else's personal idea that a gun with 3.5" shorter barrel will command such a huge premium??? Since collector value is of almost no concern to these "tracker decipels". Paying $5-800 extra to get a factory Carbine in this model cracks me up. Lol. We have lopped of lots of 742/760 barrels, for the tracker crowd around here, that claim to hunt in stuff so thick they often have trouble raising even 18.5" up thru the branches let alone 22"....... Of course it is sorta ridiculous, but they paid us and left happy as a clam! It's a bubble that will burst, and the guns will seak out their true market values. In the mean time stay tuned for a minty 35 Whelen carbine bring $3500 ............. It's certainly in the cards ( Visa card that is)

Not that way here. Here carbines will bring more money because well, they're carbines.......there's a lot less of them. I suspect the average person that pays a good bit more for a carbine around here might not ever plan to hunt with it. They're willing to pay more because they're more valuable. Always have been.

But even on GB if a person watches they can get a nice 30-06 carbine for $1500, not $2500.

About 6 weeks ago I passed on a very nice BDL Basket weave 760 in 308 here locally from a private seller for $925. If money grew on trees I'd of bought it. Enough, but well worth it. It wont get cheaper.

Here's a 308 carbine that sold for over $3000.

A 30-06 carbine that sold for over $2500.

These are high, they don't all bring that, but still.

Somebody got a real hosing on this one unless they just really wanted a short barrel 30-06. This is NOT a factory carbine. The barrel has been cut, and the stock has been cut with a recoil pad added. $1400. The recoil pad anybody can see, the carbine part they got duped. It's never claimed that it's a carbine, but neither is it stated that it's not, and that the barrel was cut.

People are nuts

I haven't seen a 222 for sale in awhile , is the reason I asked . the last one I watched went for $4600 or $4800 .

Man! On Gunbroker? I seen 2 different 223's which are also very hard to come across as they were made just 1 more yr, go for around $2000. I guess it depends how deep of pockets 2 people have and how bad they want it. If you want to sell it, try to pick the week the $4800 buyers are looking and I would say good for you. (y)

I bought this rifle 40 years ago . if I remember right I paid $575 . I know for sure it was in the $500's . the guy I bought it from had a very small basement gun shop . something happened to him and he wound up in a wheelchair . if I remember right he was selling a few of his personal guns to put a stair lift in, so he could go into his basement . he had one of each , a 760 in 222 , and a 223 . he advertised both , but only had to sell one of them . I bought the 222 , I thought it was in better condition . I kept his number and tried to buy the 223 later on , but he wouldn't sell it .

the only one I've seen for sale locally , is the one I bought .I'm sure ones have sold , I don't watch that close . I sometimes check online for one of these for sale , just to see what it brings .they show up very rarely . I look at gunbroker , guns america . it probably was on gunbroker , that's the one I look at the most . I about fell over when I saw that gun go for that amount . right time , right place I guess . if any of you guys see one let me know , I'd like to see what it brings .

I haven't seen a 222 for sale in awhile , is the reason I asked . the last one I watched went for $4600 or $4800 .
Could that 222 be something Remington through together for Grice to sell?

Somebody can correct me if they know different, but far as I know the Grice special run guns in Remington pump rifles were all the later 7600 models. Absent of that, the 760's chambered in 222 were made by Remington 1958-1961. The 223's were made 1964-1968. NO carbines are listed for either chambering in case anybody runs across 1 and thinks they found the holy grail.

I THINK , shadetree is right on this . no special runs on the 760's . as far as I know grice did some special runs on the 7600's . these were maple ,and black laminate stocks in then current chamberings . I kind of remember Grice doing a special run of 35 Whelen in the black synthetic only .

I know where a 760 280 Rem carbine is but danged if I can pry that son of a gun from him!

Just like water against the rock, I’ll wear him down over time….

I got a 270 Win 760 a few years back with plans to rebore it to 338-06 or 9.3x62. It didn’t have a front sight on it so I looped a few inches off of it and added a Skinner front sight to it.

I gave 250 bucks for the old club.

I ended up shooting it with some RL23 and 150 PTs I’d had loaded a bunch of for my Tikka when I had it. Sure enough it hammers with that load so I just keep 50 loaded and ready to go..

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle! I got in just ahead of the super craze, in early 2021 and picked up a 760 in .300 SAV. I was bidding on a 7600 in 30-06 and a .35 760 in the same auction. The .35 quickly went into collector range...it was nice. Got down to which I could get for less between the .300 and .30-06. They were both well used but mechanically sound working guns with good bores. I should have bought all 3, could have kept the .300 and doubled my money on the other 2. They used to be relatively cheap here in MN, now they are bringing as much as similar condition pre-64 Win 94s. They are still relatively popular in the woods here. Not a new fad, just the same old guys who still wear German surplus wool and chew Copenhagen toting them through the brush.

Even with lots of honest wear, a drilling where a receiver sight once sat, and some rubbed out pitting on the exterior of the barrel, I'm quite happy with my 760. Have hunted 2 seasons with it, and it really is sweet in the thick woods. Ended up with a damaged .300 Sav magazine with the rifle, and 3 new old stock mags, one in .308, and 2 marked 6mm for a song compared to today's prices. Saw a Remington box for the 6mm mag selling for as much as I paid for both mags in a dusty old Northwoods hardware store. I use them interchangeably and all work well after a few well aimed hammer taps and file strokes.

You should hunt with yours, or sell it on auction and buy 2 well worn ones and hunt those. They really are sweet for walking in the thick stuff, and they shoot much better than people give them credit for. They still have the undeserved reputation of a spray and pray gun, as they were popular with the deer drive crowd. Throw some good handloads downrange, they tend to surprise! Mine won't outshoot a fine and well tuned bolt action, but it will shoot under 2" all day long without any serious load tweaking, and throw 5 around an inch with what it likes.

Last edited:
Well to be honest my old 141 in 35 Rem is very capable of dispatching ANYTHING in the Maine woods at short range. And it has better balance for me. Plus I still have my old 742 Carbine, that has less than 10 boxes of cartridges thru it since 1973.
It's been luged hundreds of miles over the last 50 years and it has never jamed.(Have always kept chamber and gas port clean) I am NOT one to fire a clip every time I jump a deer like you see in the videos on YouTube......... I shoot it same as I do a bolt, just don't need to cycle the bolt/lever/ forearm. I have been fortunate to have harvested, 17 Whitetail Bucks; over 200lbs, over the years. Many of them with the 30/06. Dozens of others, that didn't quite make the 200 mark, all goes with tracking bucks in the Big Woods. Could even break out the 45/70 if we get desperate.Screenshot_20221220-183028.png

Attachments

• IMG_20230103_074537.jpg
    IMG_20230103_074537.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230120_102208~2.jpg
    IMG_20230120_102208~2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230120_102758~2.jpg
    IMG_20230120_102758~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A 141 is a bucket list gun for me, as is an 81 in .300 Sav. Those old Remingtons just scream nostalgia, and they still hunt well. Probably one of the reasons they are bringing so much money. I should have bought the above 2 when Winchesters were hot, Remingtons not several years ago. Now they will cost me! Got the 760 as my available hunting areas changed from open hardwoods with a pipeline easement through the thick stuff to cutover jack pine and aspen mix with some good swamps mixed in. Felt the need to shelve the heavy Mauser .280 Rem and go with something a little more sleek and handy in the thick stuff with a quick follow up shot option (not needed so far with 3 deer...they've all been handgun distance high neck shots!). It's amazingly nice not having a bolt handle hanging out the side when slinking through tag alder and aspen saplings.

E, is that a Lyman R14 peep on that 141? Mine has 1 on it. They routinely bring around $200 just for the sight. One of those R14's sold on Ebay just recently that looked new and had the box to go with it, for $430.

1 of the reasons I was a buyer on my 141.........it was in 35 Remington which is what I wanted, but that Lyman flip down peep sight sealed the deal for me. I paid either $400 or $425 for that rifle back in I'm thinking 2019. It's been a shooter since day one.

FWIW, I have a Grice special run 7600. It's a black synthetic. 280 that was made in the mid-to late 90's (I think).

A guy had a LGS order it for him then backed out of the deal when it arrived. Another guy bought it but didn't take the best care of it and lost it when he didn't pay the Pawn fees. It had speckles of surface rust on it (parkerized type finish, not bright blue). I bought it and cleaned it up the best I could. It shoots 120 and 140 BTs sub-MOA if I do my part. I haven't killed anything but paper with it (yet).

Ron

ST,
That peep sight did not come with the 141, it had been sitting at my shop for years. I ordered it for a guy that never picked it up! I think I paid $30 for it about 2000/01 ???
The 35 Rem is a real sleeper for a reloader; I am shooting 200gr bullets 2350fps (2450 foot lbs 😲) with LVR powder! That really wakes up the old cartridge, and darn near .358W factory loads. Makes it an honest 200 yds cartridge, imho.
The 35 Rem in just factory loadings, has shot mountains of game in last 116 years, since it's introduction. And has a proven history with Moose, Elk, Black Bear, and hundreds of thousands of Deer 🦌.
If I was hunting in Grizzly country, where a close encounter is possible; I would simply switch to a Speer 220 gr bullets @ 2200fps or a Fury/Hammer bonded bullets and hunt as usual with no concern about the bears 🐻.
There are no Elk or Moose that could survive being hit 🎯 in the vitals with this round, if the hunter does his part.
True classic, the 35 Remington is rock solid in American Hunting History.

Back