stuck case removal

My buddy shoots a lot of BIG Weatherby cartridges. Every now & then he'll get a case stuck in the sizing die. He ships the die to the manufacturer for removal. It's a big waste of time to ship it out when such a good tool is available.

Interesting note: the die company told him to STOP using Hornady One Shot on the big cases and to start using Imperial sizing wax. I gave him a spare can that I had on hand, and he never got a case stuck again.
I can confirm that the 378 Wby based cases are a no go with One-Shot.

I still use the RCBS pad and lube on the 30-378 , the rest of the magnum rounds I use Hornady’s Unique Case Lube. All non-magnums get sprayed with a lanolin/iso mixture and rolled around in a plastic bag.

Last edited:
I still use the RCBS pad and lube on the 30-378 , the rest of the magnum rounds I use Hornady’s Unique Case Lube. All non-magnums get sprayed with a lanolin/iso mixture and rounded around in a plastic bag.
Have you experienced any hydraulic dents on the case shoulders with the lanolin/iso and rolled around in a plastic bag method?

JD338

I haven’t had an issue so far. The key is letting the isopropyl flash off. I have gotten dents with the RCBS and Unique when some got on the shoulders.

Instead of buying special tools for removing stuck cases, all the tools needed may be found in most shops or garages, a drill, 1/4 inch course tap and bolt. a fender washer, and a 9/16 socket. Drill and tap the primer pocket. Thread the bolt with washer through the back of the socket into the case. Lock down the die in a press or vise, and turn down the bolt with a wrench pulling the stuck case free into the socket. A deep socket may work best.

Back