Super Blackhawk/ Super Single Six

YoteSmoker

Handloader
Oct 3, 2006
I had a 44 Mag scoped 7 1/2" SRH but do to its size and weight, didn't even take it in the woods this season.

I would like to get another 44 Mag but in a shorter lighter package...something I can wear on my hip and not too cumbersome to wear while rifle hunting.

After a lot of looking around, online anyways, I'm leaning toward a 5.5" new model super blackhawk with blued steel. Also, I'm thinking of getting a super single six to practice a lot with as these seem to be very similiar in frame design and size.

Anyone have experience with either? Any recommendations? Thanks.

I had a 5.5" Super Blackhawk for a few years. Excellent packing pistol. Reasonably accurate. I didn't like the way it recoiled with full power loads, so eventually it was traded off. It was however very nice to shoot with somewhat reduced loads.

Ended up going to a S&W 629, which made me a lot happier.

Regards, Guy

I had them both and still have the single 6. I am in the same boat as you but torn between the 6 " SW 29 and 5.5" Redhawk. If it were not for the strength issue the 29 would be #1 for the list! I am still torn!

Sounds like S&W may be a better way to go. I kinda like the cowboy look of the ruger single actions I guess. But my 686 357 just plain shoots and has a great trigger. Might just have to look closer at the 29 or 629.

Guy, What length barrel does your 629 wear and do you feel it is the best?

Pop, what do you like more about the 29 than the 629? Guess we have to struggle through this decision together. Been looking on gunbroker a lot lately...

I would take either actually, 29 or 629. No diff to me.

I have owned both the 6" 629 and the 6.5" Classic model, with the full-length underlug. The 6.5" was nicer to shoot, and more accurate. It was a tad muzzle heavy. The standard 6" 629 handled better, but had more muzzle rise, which was a bit of a bother during rapid fire strings while qualifying.

I have to wonder if the 5" Classic model might be the best of both worlds?

Unfortunately I sold my .44 along with some other nice guns a few years back when we needed cash to fix the family car and times were lean. Haven't replaced it yet. :cry: I liked that 629 Classic so much that it pains me to even go look at them now. Prices for them have gone through the roof too!

Regards, Guy

Back