"stuff happens"

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
Well first off, current circumstances prevented me from making it out for Deer Opener. That Sux!
This story is what developed for my son, ending up tagging a yearling eater. Normally he would be looking for a little more headgear.
But as the story goes,,,two days before, he decided to use a handgun this year. I said he could use one of mine, but he wanted to check out the gun shop anyhow.
Going with him just in case he wanted my input, first thing he spotted, was a 12" Encore barrel. He asked what I thought, being we hadn't even had somebody get it out for a closer look, all I knew at first glance it was custom, being a bull barrel. As it turned out, it was a FoxRidge .308 Win., with Bushnell Elite in the 3 rings on a SSK base. Price seemed more than reasonable at $329 I figured. Closer inspection, showed hardly any wear normally associated with TC's.
I said, "you really can't go wrong on this deal", so he bought it. I loaned him a frame. He would have bought a frame that was there also, but he also bought a stnls RSBK in a .44 mag., stretching his funds.

Now with 2 days to go until hunting and him working, didn't leave a lot of time for load work up, and testing. The bore was spotless, so we didn't bother with any normal cleaning ritual. Having dies and a small selection of bullets, I just went to the middle of the book load with 165 gr. NBT's and 165gr Sirocco's (original). We didnt run them over the chrono, but guessing 2250-2300 fps in that chamber, which had a throat long enough to seat out .060" beyond spec, and not overly tight. I was confident starting in the middle was safe, with this chamber,,,it ain't no OTT chamber, lol.
The BT's proved most accurate, and we didn't mess with it beyond shooting enough to feel comfortable. They were shooting well enough for 4" PBR at 200, allowing for some range beyond. He had taken a few at 275 on milk jugs, and was comfortable to that range. Good to go for limited load work I figured.

Well yesterday morning, they had a group of doe's come by, with this little guy bringing up the rear. Matt happen be standing by a fence post, leaning the pistol and followed the lil buck. They were in a trot, and he figure 70-75yds. Now I'm not sure which, but either he stopped his follow, or the deer were moving faster than he thought, or both. He's good at range, so I didn't question that.
Upon seeing the deer, I said, " I thought you told me it was broadside." It looked like a hard quartering away seeing a neck exit.
He said it was, and on impact, the deer spun a 180 and went down right there, with a brief attempt to get up, but colapsed and was dead.
Well seeing an exit wound in the neck, evidently when the bullet impacted the last rib, it had to have had core seperation. And with that, it turning nearly 90 degrees, through the lungs and out the neck just in front of the shoulder. There was also and exit, likely the jacket, directly behind the entrance. Now core seperation, isn't all that uncommon, but this would be the first were I seen the main core changing course!!! There is no other explanation for the neck exit, as Matt fired the only round. At least he also learned, that even at under a 100 yds, a moving target presents issues. Again, either he stopped his tracking, or the animals were moving faster than figured.

But I do belive, I am going to load 150 gr. PT's in it, with some complete load ramps, and see how it likes those. He was lucky to a point with a hit that far back, although, fragments had taken out the artery running under the spine, so it was a lethal shot regardless. But I was very suprised that the 165gr. BT seperated with an estimated 21-2200 impact velocity however. Sometimes "stuff happens", that goes beyond explanation. Dead is dead I guess.

Normally I don't use BT's for hunting, prefering PT's, but like having them on hand for testing a rigs inherent accuracy. But seeing happened, I won't use anything lighter in a BT for this caliber. Matty is sold on the Encore however, and I forsee his own Encore collection growing. That and he said, never again a slug gun.
Although he did have a little guilt, not letting his wife take the first shot. I just told them, that would have been pushing her 20ga. smooth bore,,,she's got more time ahead.
100_4305-1.jpg

Dave,

That is great! Congratulations to your son on a nice buck with a pistol.

JD338

Congratulations to Matt. Here's pulling for his lady to tag out with her 20 gauge.

Awesome hunt. Looks like alot of fun Dave. I have loaded for my buddies 35 Rem, and shot it a bunch, but never hunted with it. Thinking I need to try it out. Thinking a 150gr AB would be a good blend of the BT and PT? Scotty

Thanks Guys!
Yeah Scotty, the AB certainly warrents some testing as well.

Congrats to Matt. Hopefully he will give his wife the next shot :lol: Scotty and myself talked about Encores and pistol hunting deer on the way back home. Scotty may go with me to Iowa next year to hunt deer and the county is Muzzleloader, slug, or pistol only. I use an Encore Muzzleloader but would like to use a pistol also. Our topic of conversation was what caliber and size of bullet to stay flat shooting and have thump around 300 yards. We talked about the 308 win and 35 Rem mostly.

I would think a 6.5 JDJ or 260 Rem would be pretty sweet for deer too. Lighter recoil and good bullets helps too. Scotty

IMO, most anything with proper bullet weight that can run in the 24-2500 fps range, will get to 300 realtively easy and still be on the hair. And yeah, the medium case capacity 6.5/.264"s would be great. And so the 6.5x 57AIR is my main deer rig. But the .35 Rem is a nice handgun thumper, at slightly more modest ranges also!
So many good choices really!!

Indeed,,,, personally for big game, I believe with the Encore on the pistol platform, it's hard to beat the .308 family. Then too, the .444 Marlin brass based rounds are excellent as well. And if I was forced into one choice, it would be a battle between the 7-08 and .308. I'd give the .308 some edge on game larger than deer however. Although, I think the 7-08 and to a point, the .260 used within the velocity envelope of a medium to heavy weight NP will do on Elk as well. Pretty much just about shot placement like anything else. That, and range limitations have to considered a little more closely, imo.

Pretty interesting stuff. Might have to look for a 260 or something along those lines. Wanna good reason to shoot 125gr PTs or 130 AB. Scotty

Think I would use one for deer mostly and the 260 would be a good one to look at or anything 6.5.

Woodycreek":34mizi5v said:
Think I would use one for deer mostly and the 260 would be a good one to look at or anything 6.5.

Yeah, I don't see it getting used for much other than deer. Would be nice to have a solid deer killer to 300. Scotty

Wc and Scotty,,,, I would totally agree, with deer being the main game sought, the .260 is hard to beat. I'd have to look to see what it (.260), did back in a Striker's 14" barrel, but pretty sure 2600 fps with the 125 gr. or 130 gr. is quite doable. And and with that, 300 yds is also quite doable. My program shows, the .260 should have roughly 2060 fps and 1180 fpe remaining at 300 yds. with the 125gr PT, starting at 2600 fps.
Then too, while being a 100% custom barrel, if the Contender was in mix,,,the 6.5BRM based on the 30-30 is no slouch either.
I personally sight my SP deer rigs in with a 4" target, giving a PBR in that 225 range with the 2600 fps we are talking, and still on the hair at 300, being just over 9.5" low. Mostly the reason behind that is, in my experience, handgrip pressure is what has most effect on the accuracy, and naturally once range is increased with SP's, it becomes more exaggerated. The narrower 4" PBR just gives me a little margin of error built in when switching from barehand, to gloved. And then and 2-3" for every 25 yds. after isn't terribly hard to estimate. Albeit, I'm running the 125 PT's a bit faster out of the 6.5x57AIR, that point is somewhat moot for the difference when compared to the .260. The .260 is a great round, and I wouldn't mind having a barrel here in it as well for my Encore

Nice job! That's the problem with the Encores. So many choices...

I've always had a hankering for a 7mm-08 Encore pistol.

onesonek":893ur0jz said:
Wc and Scotty,,,, I would totally agree, with deer being the main game sought, the .260 is hard to beat. I'd have to look to see what it (.260), did back in a Striker's 14" barrel, but pretty sure 2600 fps with the 125 gr. or 130 gr. is quite doable. And and with that, 300 yds is also quite doable. My program shows, the .260 should have roughly 2060 fps and 1180 fpe remaining at 300 yds. with the 125gr PT, starting at 2600 fps.
Then too, while being a 100% custom barrel, if the Contender was in mix,,,the 6.5BRM based on the 30-30 is no slouch either.
I personally sight my SP deer rigs in with a 4" target, giving a PBR in that 225 range with the 2600 fps we are talking, and still on the hair at 300, being just over 9.5" low. Mostly the reason behind that is, in my experience, handgrip pressure is what has most effect on the accuracy, and naturally once range is increased with SP's, it becomes more exaggerated. The narrower 4" PBR just gives me a little margin of error built in when switching from barehand, to gloved. And then and 2-3" for every 25 yds. after isn't terribly hard to estimate. Albeit, I'm running the 125 PT's a bit faster out of the 6.5x57AIR, that point is somewhat moot for the difference when compared to the .260. The .260 is a great round, and I wouldn't mind having a barrel here in it as well for my Encore

Great intel Dave. Really good info. Brian and I might have to dive into these a little too. They sound like alot of fun! Scotty

"a little",,,,,,
uh huh,,,yep, I have heard that before Scotty :lol:
Be warned, hunting with a SP, or any handgun is addicting.
Initially I thought 1 -2 barrels would fill my needs/wants.
And I'm still missing a couple I wound't mind having.
It's a challenge, which adds another level of achievement in hunting.
The satisfaction, is really hard to describe.
One that really has to be experienced, as words just don't quite cut it.

Woodycreek":jxvh1bdy said:
308winAI under 16" barrel from MGM shooting 125 BTs sounds like a winner.

Wow, that didn't take long. I see this is going to be a slippery slope!

MGM would be my choice, with OTT not taking new orders.
Not sure who's blanks they use, but I know you can send them your own blank if you wish.
They do good work, by all accounts I have heard.
My .375-444/JDJ is a MGM, and I'm very pleased with it!
Right now, I'm thinking I need/want a .22 LR, along with .22 cf of some sort. I don't have that end covered in handgun lengths as of yet.

Do own a set of crampons Scotty,, :wink:

Back