Switching Ballistic Tips and Accubonds.

Dougfir

Beginner
Mar 2, 2018
I'm curious about your experience switching out ballistic tips and accubonds (keeping a load exactly the same, but switching (same grain) bullets). Have you found them to generally be equally accurate? Shoot to the same POI? Same velocity? Thanks!

Yes- I use less expensive BTs for load development and swap to ABs for hunting loads.

There's no discernible difference in POA/POI between the two that I've found.

hodgeman":3uy647y5 said:
Yes- I use less expensive BTs for load development and swap to ABs for hunting loads.

There's no discernible difference in POA/POI between the two that I've found.

Same here.

I use Speer’s 180 FB, 308, for general shooting in my 300 Mag. They have essentially the same BC as the Partition Partition. For my 7mm I use the 162 BTSP for general then the AB for hunting. I always run three of my hunting loads down range at 300 yards prior to season.just to be sure.

Great post! I was wondering the same thing. I've got some 140 ballistic tips and accubonds loaded up with identical loads. Ready to test it out, but won't be able to get to it for 5 or 6 weeks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I asked because I just tried it myself, for the first time. I have a good load that I worked up in the Spring, using the 140 NAB in my 7mm-08. I wanted to see if I could just switch to the BT for practice and keep everything the same. Finding the AB load had not been easy, so I was a bit skeptical that the switch would produce the same accuracy.

What I found was that accuracy was actually better with the ballistic tips. The AB load groups around 3/4" at 100 yards. My first group with the ballistic tips was just a hair over 1/2". On the down side, the POI was about 1.5" higher with the ballistic tips. I haven't compared velocities yet. I wish I could switch back and forth without a change of zero, but not the end of the world, just happy to have a very accurate practice load that costs less.

For me, I've found. I've had to always seat the A/B bullets a little deeper to have the same accuracy as the B/T's
This could just be me and my guns.
Take care

My 264 Win Mag and 270 WSM will interchange 140 AB/BT and the 150 PT/BT pretty much without drama. Been lucky with a few combos like that.

Back