Tell us about your favorite 30-06

Those are some nice looking working rifles with stories to go with them. "Great pictures"
Here's a better picture of my best shooting 30-06.
013_zps9mmitqtf.jpg

The 30-06 seems to be very popular around here and for good reason. We seem to have a lot of experience here.
Billy

Polaris":lyvq8rtf said:
Mine is a M1917 that was professionally sported some time a long time ago. They quit making the model of recoil pad on it before WWII, so it is likely that old. At some point, it had traditional modern scope bases put on it, and still bears the shadow and drilling where a Lyman Receiver sight used to sit. It is well worn, has a cracked stock (now stabilized with a maple dowel and epoxy), missing most of it's blueing and accurate as hell. It is the one rifle I count on no matter what the conditions to function and get the job done. It is one of those rare birds that shoots everything I run through it accurately and for some reason to the same POI at 100 yards. It lives at my hunting camp for a loaner rifle should anybody need one, and I am now hunting with it due to the tight cover, the low mag optic and the somewhat compact nature of this beast. I think I payed a whopping $125 for it at a pawn shop planning on using it as a donor until I shot it. Don't have a picture, but I love the thing.

Currently running the old standard IMR4350/180 RN load, slightly reduced to somewhere around .308 speed due to some younger hunters who may use it, but it's run well with everything from 150 to 180 that I've tried, even 168BTHPs and M25 tracers on the steel plates way out there.

I had two, but not at the same time, they were my first rifle's. The above post from Polaris pretty much mirrors one of them.

I was told that Winchester is now making a 300 H & H in the model 70, but can not find one on the Winchester web page ??? Guidance please as I have a friend that would buy one in a New York second.

As I think back the only '06 I owned was a Sake Finnbear back in the early '80s. Wish I'd kept that one.
Growing up in MN back in the '70s the Deer Rifle that we all wanted was the 700 BDL 30-06. White spacers, high gloss stock and a Luepold 3x9. I can still feel the desire from when we were young and when somebodys Dad or uncle bought one we would all just talk about how when someday I'm going to buy one.
I think I know what I'm asking Santa for this year.

Cheyenne, there are several Winchester lovers and followers here that are in a better position to answer your question than I, but since no one has stepped to the plate, I will tell you what I heard.

The 300 Holland and Holland being offered in the new Model 70 Winchester was only a rumor, I believe, I don't believe it it was ever produced in their new Model 70 rifles, but I could be wrong about this. Scotty and Pat are HUGE Winchester fans, maybe one of them will see this question.

The production of a 300 H&H was (and is) a rumour. There are no current production models in the Winchester lineup. If there was, I would certainly be tempted to acquire one for myself.

Owned an old 721 30-06 for about 15 minutes. Traded it for a M70 7mm Rem Mag. I'd take a P64 Featherweight in 30-06. I think a rifle like that would be fun to have in my safe.

Cool thread.

Guy Miner":gpnxsqe1 said:
15 minutes? Dang Scotty, that's faster than Fotis turns 'em.... :grin:

Very good, Guy. A palpable blow! :mrgreen:

I've had a number of .30-06s over the years...my favorite was a Sig Sauer SHR 970.... wouldn't shoot anything over 150gr worth a darn but back then Winchester loaded 125gr Silvertips at ludicrous speed. Those it shot in ragged holes- I shot a pile of whitetails with that rifle.

I don't have one currently, but I'm less enthused with magnums than I was a decade or so ago. I'm sure another will come along eventually.

Guy Miner":2vhlmatq said:
15 minutes? Dang Scotty, that's faster than Fotis turns 'em.... :grin:

Yeah, I read too many danged books and my dad ran a 30-06 forever. Wanted something different. I'd gladly take a 30-06 now though. Neat cartridge when you see all of the excellent powders and bullets available for it.

gerry":35r26haz said:
I currently don't have a 30-06 but could be swayed if I could get a bullet like the 190 gr ABLR around 2750 fps or a 200 gr AccuBond over 2700 fps. Could take me away completely from owning a "magnum" round again. In the past I topped out at 2600 fps with 200's but some of the newer powders are very interesting.

RL-26 should get you 2700 fps or more with the 200 AB. Running over 2700 with the 200 AB out of a 20" barrel. Using Lapua brass and Fed 215M.

RaySendero":2lgoo9s4 said:
Alast, :( I no longer have a favorite '06.

Wife confiscated my favorite for herself:

WinM70_3006_010213_4.jpg

WinM70_3006_010213_5.jpg

Yeah, wives can do that. Same holds for grandchildren, I can vouch.

All emotion!

She like it because of the "trimmer" carbine length barrel.

She has no idea how much its worth
Or how much it kicks.

Hmmm... Nice rifle! Maybe some 125 gr loads for the lady, to tame that recoil?

Guy

Yep - Already done that.
Started her with the 125 Rem MR factory loads.
Then switched her to a 150 NP reload reduced to 2460 fps.
That steel butt plate gets to me with full power 180s

Woodycreek":9029rx34 said:
gerry":9029rx34 said:
I currently don't have a 30-06 but could be swayed if I could get a bullet like the 190 gr ABLR around 2750 fps or a 200 gr AccuBond over 2700 fps. Could take me away completely from owning a "magnum" round again. In the past I topped out at 2600 fps with 200's but some of the newer powders are very interesting.

RL-26 should get you 2700 fps or more with the 200 AB. Running over 2700 with the 200 AB out of a 20" barrel. Using Lapua brass and Fed 215M.

I wonder what that load would get from a 26" Ruger No 1 B? Could be interesting.......

Muldoon":2nqrzgbq said:
When I want to check to see if I'm loosing it.....I go back to this one:

1903 A3 Springfield by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Wish I had a picture of dads 03-a3. I was a stout 12 year old, but it was a lot of rifle to pack around my first year hunting. Give me a supported position and I believed if I could see it I could hit it. That rifle passed through all my younger siblings their first year hunting.
My youngest brother had it for about 20 years, lost it in a burglary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an 03-A3 given to me as I was leaving Dallas. I gave it to an RCMP friend going to Depot as an instructor. He told me the armorers there refurbished it. Those were great arms.

Back