Tell us about your favorite 30-06

I've had this Ruger .30-06 since I was 13 or 14, damn near 50 years. Bucked bails , picked strawberries and beans to earn the money. I slimmed down the foreend and re- checkered it. Still my favorite rifle.IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0734.JPGIMG_0733.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1t480cfq said:
I've had this Ruger .30-06 since I was 13 or 14, damn near 50 years. Bucked bails , picked strawberries and beans to earn the money. I slimmed down the foreend and re- checkered it. Still my favorite rifle.View attachment 2View attachment 1

That looks like mine only I have a 1.5-5 Leopold on it. It's a deer killing machine that I used for crop damage work.
Of all the deer I've killed only 2 were killed with something else than a 30-06 and I hope to change that statistic tomorrow and kill one with the 35/AI. :mrgreen:

The 30-06 is all I used for a long time.

I have had as many as 8 at one time, if you want to count my military collection and not just hunting rifles.

I currently own 6:

Unaltered versions of the 1903, 1903A3, 1917 and M1 Garand

Hunting rifles are a sportered 1917 and a pre64 standard rifle Model 70.

The 1917 has a story.

My father was a pin setter for a fire company bowling league when he was a boy in the 1950's. He earned a penny a game, but would often do well on tips if he hustled. He saved his money and when his uncle bought a bunch of 1917's and 1903's from the DCM, my father bought one of them. His uncle had the gunsmithing work done for him. The barrel was cut to 18.5", rear "ears" machined off, and scope mounts installed. It came to me with a Weaver K4 on it, which is back on it after several scopes took turns on there. I haven't shot dad's 1917 in a long time, and I think that needs to change.

He also had a Timney trigger put on it. It's probably not a 2lb pull, and clean as can be. My father used if for a long time until he moved on to other rifles. He gave it to me officially about 10-15 years ago. I shot probably a half dozen deer or so with it, and I don't recall how many he took with it.

He ran 51.5gr IMR4064 under a Hornday SP 150gr bullet for a long time. I feel like messing with it this winter/spring, so I'll see what I can do. I have a bunch of load development to do, so what's one more into the mix? :)

gerry":3tlp79vq said:
Woodycreek":3tlp79vq said:
gerry":3tlp79vq said:
I currently don't have a 30-06 but could be swayed if I could get a bullet like the 190 gr ABLR around 2750 fps or a 200 gr AccuBond over 2700 fps. Could take me away completely from owning a "magnum" round again. In the past I topped out at 2600 fps with 200's but some of the newer powders are very interesting.

RL-26 should get you 2700 fps or more with the 200 AB. Running over 2700 with the 200 AB out of a 20" barrel. Using Lapua brass and Fed 215M.

I wonder what that load would get from a 26" Ruger No 1 B? Could be interesting.......

I would almost put money on 2800 or more (y)

It certainly is an intriguing thought, maybe someone here with 26" barrelled 30-06 could find out for sure. In the interests of science of course......... ;)

I was going to purchase a 26" 30-06 but family matters precluded doing so.

Upon further research I decided against a 26" barrel as, on paper, the gains seemed to be minimal after about 23". I'd love to have this theory proven or debunked by someone.

My favorite '06, and my only one, is a Ruger stainless with a grey toned Ruger stock, that puts the Barnes 180 grain TTSX in to a half inch at 100 Yards. I haven't had the fortune to kill anything with it yet but it was the rifle I took to Newfoundland last year.

My .338 Win Mag is my go to rifle but I keep finding myself drawn to the old 30-06 the more I play with it. Who knows? I just may become a convert yet since I like shooting 180 - 210 grain bullets in the 338.

Vince

I dont remember ever, not having, a 30-06 or for that matter another classic caliber that came out 19 years after the 06. From memory we always had one of each

Tom, enjoyed reading your post about your father and your military collection is a very nice collection. what will be your next military rifle purchase ? Do you also have the bayonet's that go with some of them ?

My military lineup is about as complete as I want it.

I need some stuff on the opposite end of the timeline- specifically trapdoor springfields and Springfield muskets.

I have Krag-Jorgensen, M1903, M1993A3, Model of 1917, M1 Garand and Carbine, M1A (since M14's and later are not civilian-legal), and a Sig AR15.

I also have a Swedish M96 Mauser and a Swiss K31... those were just opportunity buys. Lol

I'd like to get a 1911 when CMP releases actual GI 1911's, but they'll likely cost more than I want to pay.

I do have bayonets. I have one for the Krag, Garand/03A3, carbine, 1917, and Swede. I want an M1905 to go to my 03 rifle, but they're very pricey.

That is a nice collection of mil-surp rifles, Tom. Give us a picture of your collection when you get a chance.

Thank you. I will try. They're all in silicon gun socks and behind other stuff, but I'll see what I can do.

:)

The only 30-06 I own currently is a Remington 7600 with a Leupold VX-2 2-7x scope. It isn't a super nice or fancy gun, but it does what a 30-06 is supposed to do. Kills game cleanly at normal hunting ranges without much fuss or fanciness. I had a buddy borrow it last year for antlerless season after he realized the back Talley ring on his custom 7 mag had cracked while getting ready to hunt. I think they were over-torqued, but that's not the point. His doe stepped out at 250yds and the Black Hills load I use with the 180gr AccuBond zipped through her and she dropped. The 30-06 just did what it does.

Over the years I've had 3 of the Remington pump rifles in 30-06 I found at pawn shops. I bet the original owners moved to "fancier" rifles or didn't like the recoil. I liked them all and didn't have any real desire to get rid of them, all were pretty easy to get to shoot 1.5" 3 shot groups. I made the mistake of loaning the first two to friends who shot their first deer with them and then they had to own them. One friend is a left handed fellow and he found the 760 was perfect for his use. It was a rifle the original owner had obviously had some love for, it had a Pachmyr recoil pad, Leupold scope, rings, and bases, and a slick trigger for a pump. It was in perfect shape too, not your average pawn shop pump. My lefty friend fell in love with it and I let him have it for what I paid for it after he got his first deer with it. Still love that gun and hated to sell it but I can borrow it if I ever want to. The second 760 had a rougher appearance but shot as well. It had the wood stock painted with a brown that looked like the plastic on a Red Ryder Daisy BB gun. I let a younger friend borrow it and he also had to own it. I sold it as well for what I had in it, and it was a cheap gun.

The 7600 I still have is going to stick around for when it's late in season and I start thinking of pushing deer instead of waiting on them to come to me. With the 180gr Accubonds it's a hard rifle to beat for those conditions and I spent enough time shooting one it feels like an old friend. With the modern recoil pad it just doesn't belt me as hard when I do pull the trigger. If I ever go on another hog hunt or after black bear in the eastern US it will almost certainly ride along too.

Europe":2yhx9mt9 said:
I dont remember ever, not having, a 30-06 or for that matter another classic caliber that came out 19 years after the 06. From memory we always had one of each

Tom, enjoyed reading your post about your father and your military collection is a very nice collection. what will be your next military rifle purchase ? Do you also have the bayonet's that go with some of them ?

April, the only problem with the one that came along 19 years later is when our grandfather is not here, finding ammo at the local grocery story is not possible. 30-06 ammo is everywhere. I now prefer the 300 H& H over the 06, but I only use the 200 gr., so it works for me but not for everyone The 06 gives one a much broader range of weights to choose from, and manufactures for that matter. But I loved my 06, especially when it was the only rifle I had

Tom, do you have one of those bayonets that look almost like swords ? What country originally used those type of bayonets ?

Cheyenne, you can, if one wanted to do so, get 300 H & H ammo from, I think 150 gr up to 220r.

I agree that, in general the 200 gr fits the old 300 perfectly, especially in your neck of the woods, but there is loaded ammo available, just not at the North Pole..

If I had to choose one over the other, I probably would choose the 300, but I have never, not had a 30-06.

I dont think there is a marine on active duty who hunts who does not have a 30-06. ( a couple of people here will figure out what I just said LOL )

yukon huntress":209o13kh said:
Europe":209o13kh said:

April, the only problem with the one that came along 19 years later is when our grandfather is not here, finding ammo at the local grocery story is not possible. 30-06 ammo is everywhere. I now prefer the 300 H& H over the 06, but I only use the 200 gr., so it works for me but not for everyone The 06 gives one a much broader range of weights to choose from, and manufactures for that matter. But I loved my 06, especially when it was the only rifle I had

Tom, do you have one of those bayonets that look almost like swords ? What country originally used those type of bayonets ?

A lot of countries used very long bayonets. The idea was the longer you could reach to poke something, the better.

Europe":2uf221uh said:
Cheyenne, you can, if one wanted to do so, get 300 H & H ammo from, I think 150 gr up to 220r.

I agree that, in general the 200 gr fits the old 300 perfectly, especially in your neck of the woods, but there is loaded ammo available, just not at the North Pole..

If I had to choose one over the other, I probably would choose the 300, but I have never, not had a 30-06.

I dont think there is a marine on active duty who hunts who does not have a 30-06. ( a couple of people here will figure out what I just said LOL )

I hear you :lol:

I'll put one of those 06's in my arsenal someday.... make it a P64 FWT though!! :twisted:

Back