Tempreature sensativaty for Reloader 22

I suspect RL22 drops off quite a bit when the weather gets colder. I know the pressure goes up when the temperature rises. It was enough of a problem for me that I gave away a pound and a half of the stuff and moved to the Hodgdon Extreme line, which has less temperature sensitivity. At least I stopped having high pressure events with H4350, H4831CS, and Varget.

Jaywalker

Ive also pretty much been using hodgdon powders for everything the last year and a half, you might want to give hodgdon retumbo a try Ive had good luck in my 7mm and 300win with it.

I've used it exclusively in my 300 Win. Mag for about 5 yrs. Never saw the velocity go up or down because of temperature except once. But, that was a lot # that was recalled and they replace it for free and everything has been fine since. Tried H4831sc and couldn't get the velocity or accuracy that RL22 gives me.

Have not found it to vary with any degree of concern. Velocity was constant. Performance is excellant from 70 degrees to 0 degrees in Wisconsin. No need to look for another powder.

I use RL22 almost exclusively. I find it to be quite stable from my ambient temperature expectations. I hunt from 100+ to 20 degrees and have experienced no troubles.

I love RL-22 in my .300 Win.However,I have found that it is temperature sensitive to the tune of 2 fps. per degree of temperature drop.This probably doesn't mean a thing in a hunting situation.It produces consistantly good groups with just about any bullet that I have tried.However,I too have switched to Hodgdon Extreme powders.Not quite the velocity,sometimes,but very consistant ES and SD(very low) and accuracy remains excellent.This opinion is backed up with chronograph readings and extensive records of conditions.
Jim

I apologize for my earlier comment. Though I stated that I have no problems it is because I do not load with this powder to the top velocity ceiling. It does fluctuate but my loads are well under max.

Reloader 28,
Just my observations from my experience and shot from my rifle.Went to the range expecting 3280 fps(shot at about 85 degrees).The velocity was 3060 fps.with the identicle load(around 50 degrees),That is what got me to investigate.
Jimmy :eek:

I worked up a load for one of my 270's last summer with RL22. Better velocity, and equal accuracy compared to H4831. After reading about temp sensitivity in some of the RL powders, I took the load out (after leaving the rifle and ammo in the pickup all night) during the winter in approximatley 0 degree temps. Velocity did drop off and ES increased (quite a bit). Accuracy also dropped off, but not much (it could've been my shooting). These were fullhouse huntin' loads. I went back to H4831.

Casey

All powders are effected by temp even the Hodgdon extreems. The problem with R22 from what I`ve gathered is in the rise in temp from say ~70 F to desert temps, not drops from mild summer to winter temps.
I haven`t noticed much change from 75- 30F in my rifles. At least not much more then can be seen within normal extreem spread. I haven`t any data with same lots and components to say if any exists at any higher temps.
I`ve recently picked up a pressure trace and hope in the near future to have answers to these type questions with both vel and psi data.

I still buy RL22 in the 5 lb. bottles. I have quite a few of the extreme powders now and none of them would give the accuracy I get from IMR or Alliant.

This could just be some aberation. Recently I found that RL 25 in the 270 WSM provided the best accuracy and excellent velocity with 140's. However a drop tube was required.

I wish the Extreme powders worked but they have not so far.

Back