TESTING BULLET PERFORMANCE

I use old newspaper and magazines stacked about 16 to 20 inches and tied or taped together, then i soak it in a tub of water for one week.

GermanShorthair

Phone books soaked in water work well. You can trace the bullets path, see the wound cavity as well as the shock wave in the wet pages. If you are careful, you can get 5 shots into the books.

Gallon milk jugs filled with water work well too. Line up 6-8 jugs (depending on caliber and bullet weight) on a 2x12 plank. Just make sure everything is lined up perfectly. The photo below show some recovered 225 gr PT's from water jugs. Bullets were recovered in 7-8 jugs.
338RUM225grPT1.jpg

JD338

JD338 were these shot at the various ranges or was the velocity adjusted to the expected speed at them?
At anyrate you can`t fault the performance of the Partition. It behaves the same (perfect IMO) at all sane ranges in every test I`ve seen.

Ol` Joe

Those bullets were shot at actual distance, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yds.
That is why I made the comment that you have to have the jugs lined up perfectly. Set up can be a PITA when you are alone. Set you, go back to the bench, go back down range to adjust, back to the bench.......
Some day I would like to test at 400 and 500 yds.

JD338

Agree. Water filled milk jugs are good for testing. Essentially free, very consistent, easy to duplicate months or even years later when the urge to try a new bullet strikes. A fellow does have to understand that he's going to be measuring penetration in terms like "found bullet in 5th milk jug" not something like "bullet stopped at 38 inches in the test medium."

There's also a commercial product called the "bullet test tube" available. It looks good, but I've never used it.

Regards, Guy

JD338":1l8g3bwv said:
Ol` Joe

That is why I made the comment that you have to have the jugs lined up perfectly. Set up can be a PITA when you are alone. Set you, go back to the bench, go back down range to adjust, back to the bench.......

JD338

That was going to be my next question, how did ya get the jugsout there and in line with the bench. I`m just too lazy to walk 300 yds back & forth, especially carrying 7# water jugs.
I`d cheat and adjust the velocity. :grin:

Ol` Joe":h1m3o63y said:
JD338":h1m3o63y said:
Ol` Joe

JD338

That was going to be my next question, how did ya get the jugsout there and in line with the bench. I`m just too lazy to walk 300 yds back & forth, especially carrying 7# water jugs.
I`d cheat and adjust the velocity. :grin:

Ol' Joe,

Here is a picture of my 300 yd range-
JD300YDRange.jpg

Here is how I get my water jugs down range-
2500HD.jpg

JD338

I use to adjust velocity and use wet newsprint.

I bought the Bullet Test Tube and think it is way more hassle than it is worth (it was pretty spendy) Melting it down and reshaping it is a huge pain and a mess. Don't do it on your mom's or wife table out side on the porch . . . I'm still catching hell for that one! I is kind of cool to see what different bullets do as far as a wound cavity but wet news paper will do almost the same thing and is alot cheaper and cleaner IMO.

Antelope_Sniper

The range is at the club I belong to. Last fall I cut down the trees to the right that were overhanging into line of sight to the target. Much more open now for shooting.

JD338

JD338

This was a real eye opener about expansion of the Partition bullets. I had always thought that the farther away (lower velocity impact) bullets would have the greater weight retention. Your results show the opposite effect. I never stop learning. I love this forum!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Greg Nolan":2fi7comu said:
JD338

This was a real eye opener about expansion of the Partition bullets. I had always thought that the farther away (lower velocity impact) bullets would have the greater weight retention. Your results show the opposite effect. I never stop learning. I love this forum!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

The data is for a sample of one, not the best for establishing a trend but,............ What amazes me more is there is only a 3.4 gr difference in retained wgt between the 50yd impact and the 300 yd. This is a 5-600 fps velocity span, I`m estimating.
Fantastic!! :grin:

I have a bullet test tube sas well. Their advantage is how well you can see the cavity. You can even measure the volume if you want. You also have to monitor temperature to use it properly.

I have an old crock pot type appliance to melt the wax.

jim

I want to test the Barnes TSX vs the E-Tipss at 1800-2100 fps...................

Pop,
I'd like to see the results of your test. Are you going to use true distance or simulate :?:

I needed some brass and had a few Nosler Custom 300 RUM 200gr AccuBond rounds so i tried JDs jug test. Two shots at 25 yards with both Accubonds stopping in jug number seven. Retained weight was 120 and 132.3. 3010 avg. fps.
0415081838.jpg

0415081835a.jpg

0415081835.jpg

Woodycreek

Good job. Those AB's held up well against the water jugs. Water is actually very hard on bullets.

JD338

Back