Testing new bullets

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Well I hit the range with my muzzleloader, new scope and three new bullets to try.

-CVA MagHunter 209 with Nikon Pro Hunter.
-My "old" load, 80 grains of 777 FFG with a 300 grain T/C Shockwave = 3/4" groups all day at 100 yards.

Yesterday I tried;

-Nosler 260 grain Partition = 2" groups
-Federal Fusion 260 grain bullet 2 3/4" groups
- Precision Rifle QT 250 grain bullet = 4" groups :shock:

Guess I will stay with the T/C Shockwave bullet. My longest shot with this set up was a 140 yard heart shot last winter. Why mess with a good thing? :lol:

TScottW99

Good info, thanks for your report.
Have you considered increasing your powder charge to 90-100 grs?
That seems to be the sweet spot for my ML's.

JD338

I understand Hornady makes the same exact bullet in a different color than the Shockwave and are a bit cheaper.

I have tried 90 grains of 777 but could not get anything to shoot well.

I have also tried the Hornady SST 300 grain and it shoots the same as the Shockwave. I use the T/C Shockwave because Walmart had a clearance the other year and I bought six boxes for $5 apeice :grin:

TScottW99,

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You got s great deal on good bullets that shoot.
Show us some hunting pics. :lol:

JD338

I like to pretend I am shooting a .50-100, so I always start with 100 gr loose H777 in my rifles. That has worked with several rifles now.

jim

I'm too chicken to try anything over 90 grains in 777 in my CVA. I am not the biggest Randy Wankman fan but I don't won't to test fate either :lol:

I plan on getting a T/C ML one day, after I build my AR.

Hornady makes the shock wave for TC, the tip color is tha only differance so the deer will never know. For practice a shoot the harvester 44cal/270gr 50cal sabot and it accurate. Its a hard cast flatpoint and it should work great on deer out to say 125 yards.

I picked up a box of 200 grain shockwaves the other day. Figured I might as well try one more :lol: Maybe with 100 less grains I can get flatter and maybe some expansion.

Back