The absence in the market place

I guess in the absence of a statement from Nosler, we are left with the enjoyable past time of reflective conjecture. Their bullets are very good quality though these days a number of other manufacturers have improved to the same level if not above (IMO), however they have managed to do so in greater numbers and at a significant discount at the register. I use my Noslers more sparingly these days. Maybe whatever has been holding them back from maintaining pace with the competition will be no more, but for a lot of people, once you've made a switch, they often don't fully go back....

I have a couple of " notify me when back in stock " requests at midway . I was notified this past Friday products are no longer available .
these requests would be for 6.5 cal 100 and 120 grain ballistic tips

How many of these companies have military contracts that they are struggling to meet? May be be impacting delivery to civilian markets.

I know that recruiting and retaining employees has been difficult since the beginning of the pandemic, and does not appear to be easing at all since the pandemic has settled down...many local companies here are reporting that they aren't even interviewing anymore...someone shows up and are ready to work, they get paid for everyday they show up. Period.
Any many are reporting that they can't even get poor candidates to apply, let alone quality candidates with relevant training, education and/or experience.

The supply chain up here in Canada is even worse, its so hard to find Nosler products. You would think Nosler would say "ok, demand for our products is way up, lets increase production by a factor of X ... " this observation from a business perspective seems logical, increase production!

"How many of these companies have military contracts that they are struggling to meet? May be be impacting delivery to civilian markets."

I think that this just may be a big part of the problem. Recently Federal just "won" another big five year contract for ammo. Over the past few years, how many times have you heard or read about another dot gov agency giving out a contract for massive amounts of ammo. For a while it seemed like it was a daily occurrence.

When I was going to the range one of the most popular bays was taken over by the border Patrol one a daily basis. Supposedly they were qualifying but that was the bay that went 200 yards or more. I did have a buddy is sometimes shot with that was in the BP and he gifted me a big garbage bag of once fired Federal Gold Medal .308 brass. Actual count was a bit over 1,100 rounds. The BP tied that one range up the whole day when the weather was reasonably cool and only left that range when the temp reach over 100. By that time nobody wanted to be out there. I have shot there when it was 110 in the shade but it wasn't all that comfortable.

Just a slight rephrasing of the opening question, "How many of these companies have GOVERNMENT contracts that they are struggling to meet that may be be impacting delivery to civilian markets?
Paul B.

Paul,
Good point, the Government contracts gobble up resources and components. I actually don't have an issue with this so long as it's used by our troops. The real burn is giving it away to foreign countries!

JD338

Australian Defence Industries (ADI which is actually owned by a French company called Thales) make a lot of powder fore Hodgson and there was an announcement by our Prime Minister during last year about how we were going to donate all they were going to be donating large volumes of powder to assist with the production of artillery shells for the Ukraine war effort. Even we aren't getting much powder down here and we make a lot of it. I say this to underpin previous comments regarding supplying munitions for the various war efforts, and to be honest, things are only going to get worse.

With the scarcity of components we may have to resort to making our own black powder and using our flintlocks.

Wouldn’t be bad if the rest of the world regressed a little too.

Vince Bridger 🤣

Australian Defence Industries (ADI which is actually owned by a French company called Thales) make a lot of powder fore Hodgson and there was an announcement by our Prime Minister during last year about how we were going to donate all they were going to be donating large volumes of powder to assist with the production of artillery shells for the Ukraine war effort. Even we aren't getting much powder down here and we make a lot of it. I say this to underpin previous comments regarding supplying munitions for the various war efforts, and to be honest, things are only going to get worse.
i think i'm a bit older than most here but I was born before the start of WW2 involving the united States. Germany invaded Poland IIRC in 1938, the year I came into existence. If you think things are bad now regarding finding ammo or various components, from what I experienced during my earlier years shooting and later reloading due to the war. decent supplies regarding reloading components and even new firearms was for all practical purposed unobtanium. I stated reloading in 1954, using whatever powder i could find. it was either bullets from Siera in my neck of the woods or cast bullets. I shot a lot of home made cast bullets downrange. The store bought bullet were for serious hunts so many a California Blacktail Deer fell due to Lyman's #310291, a nominally 175 gr. roud nose bullet. it worked just fine in the 30-30 and 30-06 I had at the time.
Loading components and guns were not the only scacre items to be had. Gasoline was rationed as was butter, meat and more other stuff than care to remember. All of that stuff was consigned to the war effort. So yeah, primers are hard to find. back when i was growing it was either pay the price or go without and people were lined up and paid the price. The only civilian ammo generally available was .22 LR and 30-30 with some 30-06 milsurp. The .22 was generally for farmers to protect their crops and the 30-30 ent to ranchers to protect their cattle and sheep from predators. What trickled down after that people considered to be very lucky to have any at all.

If my assumption that it is government buying up all the bullets and powder they can get right now is correct, then we're a lot better off than shooter during 1940 until 1950 something. I stated in 1954 and they still hadn't caught up to demand. I've accumulated enough bullets, powder and primers over the years that my supply just may outlive me. If I was a lot younger than I am today I would not hesitate to get as good a supply of components as I could find and just grin and bear it. Your choice.
Paul B.

The real burn is giving it away to foreign countries!
Not only giving away , Vista sold out to a foreign country. How long before the Czechs say no-no for Federal to produce ammo for the US military?

i think i'm a bit older than most here but I was born before the start of WW2 involving the united States. Germany invaded Poland IIRC in 1938, the year I came into existence.......
Mate thanks for the story and lesson on history. No doubt we have it better, I appreciate the perspective.

Back