The caliber conundrum

DrMike":1g9j6j5y said:
ajvigs":1g9j6j5y said:
Good Dr, have you tried the PT's in a 7mm WSM? I think they would be bad medicine for big, tough critters.

Yes, I have. They work quite well. I've also used them in the 7RM. They work pretty well there, also.

I don't believe anything in NA is going to take many 160 PT's at 3000 and like it. It is a very capable combo. Guys like Charlie, Mike and ALOT of other folks have been using that same combo since the 7mm Rem Mag came around. It kills well and is very easy to dope from 0-400.

With the 7RM, I've shot elk, moose, black bear (up to seven feet squared) and quite a few deer. The 7WSM generates similar ballistics; I've killed more than a few deer (both mule deer and whitetail) with my 7WSM. Admittedly, my load was built around 160 grain ABs, but I wouldn't have hesitated to tackled any of these critters with a 150 grain PT.

It's funny, that is the only bullet weight I haven't messed around with in the 7mm's. I have some 150 BT's and a box of PT's, might need to give it a whirl one of these days. Really does blend the best of the 140 and 160. Good BC and SD, along with good speeds.. Probably be super in the 280 Rem as well..

Years ago, I focused on the 150s in the 7RM. However, I somehow began to utilise the 175 grain TBBC and the 160 grain FS, either of which took a great deal of game, and did so quite efficiently. More recently, that rifle has been using 175 grain PTs, and shooting them extremely well. The 7mmWSM has primarily been loaded with 160 grain bullets, though I've worked up a few loads with 150s. And, yeah, 150s work well in my .280, though historically, I've focused on using 139 and 140 grain bullets in either of the older .280s I've owned.

ajvigs":1cb5ybnn said:
I will look into those recoil reducing devices as was suggested.

But...I am not so sure I need a magnum as of right now. I am leaning hard towards the Whelen.

Well don't tell anyone I said this but with the Whelen and properly hand loaded cartridges you do have a magnum at your disposal, that burns less powder, works from an easy to find non belted standard case (30-06) that necking up is a snap if you are so inclined to do such things. Nosler makes proper head stamped brass if you can find it so there is that option too. Remington's factory loads leave a bit to be desired speed wise but can be found in the larger shooting shops.
With a limbsaver recoil pad and a rifle of decent weight you should not have a problem with recoil in the field at all, if it is bothering you on the bench add a past recoil shield and you will swear it is a light weight 7-08. I have one in a 700 CDL and having had a 338 win I can tell you It kills the same on big stuff with a 225 as the 338 did and I am giving up about 100 fps comparing the most accurate load for both.

I am a huge fan of the 300WM and have shot a few 300 WSM's all but one were in rifles that were too light for the recoil potential of the cartridge so they were snappy jumpy and just not that fun even though they burned less powder than my 300WM for pretty much the same ballistics give or take. Funny eh how the rifle makers go about it? I am not too recoil sensitive, although my whelen was bothering me off the bench till I added the past recoil shield which I think changed the LOP just enough because now even though the recoil is noticeable I can shoot without any issue. I shoot an unbreaked 338 Ultra mag and my loads are stiff but I have no issues on the bench with that rifle but then again I don't shoot 40 or 50 on a range day either.

You will for sure like the whelen and once you see what it does to critters you will fall in love forever. You also can't go wrong with the 06 or either of the 300's and they have better factory loads then the whelen except for noslers 225 AB offering which I have not shot yet but I have no doubt is top notch ammo.

Which ever caliber you choose the best part is you are getting a new rifle :mrgreen: and that is sweet!

338 Ultra":2qh190yz said:
ajvigs":2qh190yz said:
I will look into those recoil reducing devices as was suggested.

But...I am not so sure I need a magnum as of right now. I am leaning hard towards the Whelen.

Well don't tell anyone I said this but with the Whelen and properly hand loaded cartridges you do have a magnum at your disposal, that burns less powder, works from an easy to find non belted standard case (30-06) that necking up is a snap if you are so inclined to do such things. Nosler makes proper head stamped brass if you can find it so there is that option too. Remington's factory loads leave a bit to be desired speed wise but can be found in the larger shooting shops.
With a limbsaver recoil pad and a rifle of decent weight you should not have a problem with recoil in the field at all, if it is bothering you on the bench add a past recoil shield and you will swear it is a light weight 7-08. I have one in a 700 CDL and having had a 338 win I can tell you It kills the same on big stuff with a 225 as the 338 did and I am giving up about 100 fps comparing the most accurate load for both.

I am a huge fan of the 300WM and have shot a few 300 WSM's all but one were in rifles that were too light for the recoil potential of the cartridge so they were snappy jumpy and just not that fun even though they burned less powder than my 300WM for pretty much the same ballistics give or take. Funny eh how the rifle makers go about it? I am not too recoil sensitive, although my whelen was bothering me off the bench till I added the past recoil shield which I think changed the LOP just enough because now even though the recoil is noticeable I can shoot without any issue. I shoot an unbreaked 338 Ultra mag and my loads are stiff but I have no issues on the bench with that rifle but then again I don't shoot 40 or 50 on a range day either.

You will for sure like the whelen and once you see what it does to critters you will fall in love forever. You also can't go wrong with the 06 or either of the 300's and they have better factory loads then the whelen except for noslers 225 AB offering which I have not shot yet but I have no doubt is top notch ammo.

Which ever caliber you choose the best part is you are getting a new rifle :mrgreen: and that is sweet!

This 338 Ultra guy is speaking the gospel. The Whelen makes a great medium bore!

The .30 magnum that I actually enjoyed shooting was the Alaskan Model 70, .300 H&H. Mine was made in the early 1950's and had the stock with the small comb on the top of the butt stock and the red recoil pad. I loaded it to shoot 165 grain PT's at about 3100 fps. This load was easy on my cheek and shoulder and even from the bench, I could fire 30-40 rounds a day. During the time I had this .300 H&H, my 7mm Rem Mag sat in the safe, not being used much

Hi all, new here but here's my .02.
A few are speaking to the 7mm and I can tell you this for sure, after building a 7MM STW in a 26" barrel it's forever ruined the chances of the other rifles ever seeing the field again.

Being limited to a 140 grn. or a 160 grn. is not to bad especially looking at the ft. lbs. it carries wayyyy down range. Also being spot on at 300 yds. it's only 6" low at 600 yds. I'd say that's pretty impressive. The recoil is very manageable and light due to the muzzle brake I have on it. Shoot it all day without tiring, without it you won't like it much. I also wear ear plugs when rifle hunting so noise is not an issue either.

Downside is the cost of ammo, I reload so it's not an issue, but it really sucks down a pound of powder. Just another idea for you.

popspastime,

Welcome to the forum. Your $0.02 is always welcome at the friendliest forum around. The 7STW is a great round that can definitely carry the goods to big critters.

popspastime":hkcv994m said:
Also being spot on at 300 yds. it's only 6" low at 600 yds. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Do I understand you correctly?

You're saying that zeroed at 300 yards, the 140 AccuBond only drops 6" at 600 yards?

Please educate me. I find that very, very hard to believe. Perhaps I didn't understand you.

Regards, Guy

With a 300 yard zero, and a muzzle velocity of 3700 fps, the bullet will be ~26 inches low at 600 yards. Something is wrong with your calculations.

popspastime, welcome aboard this forum. Lots of people and shooting knowledge here to help if you need it. Plus we welcome your data and opinions as well. From another old timer.
Charlie.

DrMike":318267hx said:
With a 300 yard zero, and a muzzle velocity of 3700 fps, the bullet will be ~26 inches low at 600 yards. Something is wrong with your calculations.
That was a typo.. I missed the 3.. for 36" so sorry

With a 300 yard zero, and a muzzle velocity of 3170 fps, the bullet will be ~36 inches low at 600 yards. Physics dictates that your velocity is much lower than you reported (~3700 fps).

FOTIS":10ndgq0q said:
So what did we decide?

The 7mm WSM is staying, it will be re-stocked into a McMillan. I may lend the rifle out to someone to develop a load for it.

I will be saving up hard for either a Nosler TGR Outfitter or another Montana in 35 Whelen.

ajvigs":3c76vuo2 said:
FOTIS":3c76vuo2 said:
So what did we decide?

The 7mm WSM is staying, it will be re-stocked into a McMillan. I may lend the rifle out to someone to develop a load for it.

I will be saving up hard for either a Nosler TGR Outfitter or another Montana in 35 Whelen.

I think that sounds like a super idea AJ. Either of those two in a Whelen would be very slick.

SJB358":2w6plr4h said:
ajvigs":2w6plr4h said:
FOTIS":2w6plr4h said:
So what did we decide?

I think that sounds like a super idea AJ. Either of those two in a Whelen would be very slick.

Yes sir. My 7mm08 loaded with 140grn Ballistic Tips could cover deer and smaller, the 7mm WSM loaded with either ABLRs or PTs over 160grns hogs and other tough critters, and then throw in a 35 Whelen with 225grn ABS or TSX's...bad medicine for big critters.

That would be a great arsenal, AJ. You would have all of North America, and much of the remainder of the world, covered.

Back